Chapter Five

1822 — New Orleans, Louisiana

   Eleanor Fraser couldn't believe herself or her actions. There was a smile around her lips as she followed Klaus Mikaelson's steps around the ballroom. Her smile was wide, even those who had yet to know her could see that she was happy. Elijah could see that she was truly happy as he spoke with the gentlemen over a glass of antique mead. The atmosphere that emitted from her was one he had seen one he had seen coming from Rebekah so many years ago. And Eleanor truly was happy, and it felt strange. Never had she enjoyed such an emotions, never had she felt so free

    "This is dancing?" she asked, laughter echoing after. "I feel like I'm stumbling!"

   "It's dancing, alright," Klaus confirmed, laughing as well. "Just keep following my moves, love."

   "These are not moves," Eleanor said, her brows furrowing. "This is stumbling on exceptional wooden floors, Klaus!"

   Klaus laughed and rolled his eyes. "Follow what the women around you are doing, Eleanor. It is fast and a bit complicated, but it is wonderful. A good Viennese waltz will warm the night."

   Eleanor eyed the women around her, and soon began to copy them as she danced with Klaus. The Viennese waltz was characterized by a slight anticipation of the second beat of the bar. The couples did not pass, but turned continuously left and right while travelling clockwise around the floor. The young fledgling could not help but stare into the vampire's eyes as they travelled around the room.

   When Eleanor flowed in dance it was as if it were the only way her body truly knew how to speak. Verbally, she was guarded, physically she would shrink and fade into the background no matter where she was. While dancing, her personality, her sensuality burst through in the most vibrant picture. Her entire being moved with a purposeful charity. With each stride she made, it became more painfully obvious how much she desired to learn the strange routine and how punishing it was for her.

   As she danced, Eleanor could only feel free. She felt like smiling, and it was all thanks to the vampire that pulled her to dance. Her eyes caught his, and suddenly she felt the a chill run up her spine. Klaus's eyes were cold, filled with untold stories and an empty tundra. Gentle specks of green collided with the soft blue, as if trees were trying to grow in his very soul but it was too cold. She felt his eyes pull at her heartstrings, make her stomach feel something she had never felt. Only once had her stomach and heart felt like that, and it was with a boy who had left for the British navy as soon as he turned sixteen.

   Suddenly, Eleanor was lifted into the air. She looked down to see Klaus staring at her, a small smirk around his lips as her hands tightened on his shoulders. Ever so slowly, he let her down. Their faces were close, inches apart, and Eleanor could taste his breath against her lips. His breath tasted of alcohol, of mint, of addiction and happiness.

   The loud clapping and cheering caused her to return to reality. She pushed herself away, curtsied, and hastily walked out of the ballroom. There was no explanation why she felt so giddy, so strange. She laid her hand on her stomach and walked out of the house, making her way to the apple orchard. There were a few people around, some carrying lanterns as the ladies that held their arms giggled. The dimly lit lanterns caused a strange and romantic atmosphere between the fresh smelling apple trees. But with the brightness of the mansion and her heightened vision, she didn't need to have a lantern.

   "Mrs. Mikaelson," a man called from behind her. "It's a pleasure to finally meet you."

   Eleanor turned to see a young man standing in front of her. His hair was tied back, eyes twinkling of mischief. She could smell the alcohol coming from him, and something else. From his face, she looked down at his neck to see and hear his vein pumping blood to his system. She licked her lips, suddenly getting hungry.