Resignation

I couldn't tell him that I loved him... Yet. I definitely had feelings for him but not strong enough. It wouldn't be fair to compare his love to mine. I would have to wait until I shifted.

It was morning and I was still at camp. I wasn't home for two days but my parents probably wouldn't even notice my disappearance. They never pay attention to me at home anyways. I decide to go to school tomorrow, just so I wasn't missing anything too important. I bite my lip as I remember Violet. She would be sitting all alone in drama. I let a defeated sigh escape my lips. What have I got myself into? I just wanted to be a normal girl going to high school. Now I have to be an werewolf girl going to high school. I figured out that Ryder attends the high school next to us, but he's transferring just for me. I was flattered by the commitment and his affection towards me. When Damian walked into the prison basement, he bared his teeth when he saw the broken cell bars. His eyes flickered to Ryder's and he growls.

"You break the rules, then you break the bars?" He sneered, walking closer towards us, deadly steps that vibrated the dusty cement floor. I watch in horror as he grabs Ryder's collar and pushes him down. Ryder grunted in pain as he slid into the wall, the wall cracking a bit. I rush in between them, stopping Damian's next move.

"Can you just be considerate for a moment?" I ask him urgently. "You seemed like such a nice person when I met you."

He thinks for a moment. "I'll let him go this once." He shoots us a warning glare. "Don't test me again, Beta."

He shrugs and pulls himself up, hopping onto his feet. His shirt was all dusty and his right arm was bruised and swollen. I rush over to help him. I lightly brush my fingertips on the bruises and he lets out an exhale of relief.

"That feels good." He sighs, closing his eyes. I examine the cuts and decided he needed a couple of bandages and lots of rest. I guide him up the stairs and he follows me, groaning slightly as he mounted the stairs. I hold his hand to ensure his stability. When I got up the stairs, I seated him in a wooden chair by the window. I look around for a bottle of rubbing alcohol, when someone handed me one. Damian. I watch him carefully, hoping this wasn't a trap. I reach out slowly and take it from him, his expression emotionless. I give him a small smile and walk back to where Ryder was seated in the chair. He pulled me onto his lap and takes a whiff of my hair.

"I'm all better princess." He sighs and lets me melt into his warm body. "Thank you."

I struggle to turn around and fix his wounds but his grip was too tight. It kept me locked into his lap. He watches me struggle with amusement in his light blue eyes.

"You think you can escape me?" He mocks me, holding me even tighter. "I just broke prison bars if you can remember."

I bite my lip, thinking of a way out but there was none. He releases me after an evaluating look. "I love you, princess. Every bit of you. Your laugh, your smile, your bravery and your determination. I love all of it."

I didn't know how to respond so I lay my head on his chest, listening to the sound of his heartbeat. He envelopes me in a warm hug and I almost forget that Alpha Damian was in the room with us. He looks at us, a different expression on his face, the one that I've never seen before. It was an almost smile, a happy light in his eyes. I glance at him.

"Did you find your mate yet?" I ask quietly. His eyes glaze.
"She died." He forces the words out. "A long time ago."

"That must be so hard on you." I say sympathetically. His face was torn as if my question opened up a healing wound. He sighs and brings his fingers to his temple. He sits down on the wooden chair in front of us and leans in, a grim look on his face.