Chapter 30

Chapter 30

~Hermione's POV~

"Crucio!" Lucius screamed, spit flying from his mouth.

The pain crashed into my chest and rippled across my body in unforgiving waves. The curse possessed me. My body moved of its own accord, uncontrollable. Tortured shrieks echoed off the stone walls of the dungeon, but I couldn't be sure whether they originated from Draco or myself. I waited. It was all I could do. But it didn't stop, it only multiplied with each surge. The pain gathered in my stomach, quivering and throbbing, like a pulsing orb inside of me, it quaked and simmered, it became smaller and smaller, but more concentrated. I managed to lift my head, however as soon as I did, the ball exploded one last time and pain expanded across my body and began to slowly seep from my fingertips and each strand of hair until it was just a horrible memory. I was left twitching manically. With my remaining strength, I held my head upright, not admitting defeat. Draco was staring at me helplessly as tears streamed down his face. I tried to pull my mouth into a reassuring smile, but all I could manage was what resembled a grimace.

"Well that was quite a show, you're screams are magnificent." Lucius sneered.

"Glad you enjoyed yourself." I spat. He walked closer to me.

Only then, when I tried to move, did I realise I was helplessly shackled to the wall like Draco. Struggling violently, I tried to escape the bonds, but it was no use. Lucius yanked my hair and drew his face an inch away from mine.

He spoke quietly but every word was audible, "You are a pretty girl, aren't you Miss Granger."

"Get lost!" I shrieked. He punched me in the stomach to shut me up.

"It's a shame your blood is tainted." He sneered, at the same quiet level. "I do understand Draco's infatuation, but he should have known not to get involved with a filthy mudblood."

"I love her for who she is! I love her for being Hermione Granger." Draco screamed.

Everything stopped. My heart thudded. I felt no pain. I was light, floating on air. Draco's eyes, full of full of sincerity as they stared back, told me it was the truth. My breathing halted and my stomach churned, this time not with pain, but from love.

"You- you love me?" I choked out, happiness consuming me. We were no longer being held prisoner and being tortured. It was Draco and I, alone, everything forgotten. Draco's eyes were all that mattered.

"Of course I do. A part of me always has." His eyes brimmed with tears.

"I love you too Draco Malfoy." I smiled, and we stayed quiet enjoying the break from our dreadful reality.

"Well isn't this lovely." Lucius sneered, the menace oozing from his voice. This snapped Draco and I back to the present, to the heartless man torturing us.

"Let's see how far your love goes." His cold eyes cut through me.

He turned to Draco, "One for being disloyal to the Malfoy family." He slashed his wand and another cut tore into Draco's chest. He screamed. I screamed louder.

"Two for going near a mudblood." A rip ruptured Draco's skin. He whimpered.

"Three for falling in love." A third tear sliced a line across Draco's shoulder. Draco bit back any noise.

"Four for it being with Hermione Granger." Another gash opened his throat.

"Please! Please! Leave him, let it be me, but just leave him!" And so Lucius spun round on me. Draco tried to protest, but he only managed a pained gurgle.

"Whatever the mudblood wants." He said, his lips curling. "Five for talking to a pureblood." A section of my skin was hacked off and blood poured from the wound.

"Six for being a mudblood." I saw his sweeping wand movement and a mirrored line cut my stomach open. I made no noise. Draco screamed louder.

"Seven for bewitching my only son." Another slash caused a gaping cut down my arm.

"Eight for cursing him to fall in love." My vision faded, the surroundings darkened.

Just before my consciousness slipped from me, I heard a familiar voice, one that I wasn't expecting to hear in the cold, cruel dungeon, one that belonged at Hogwarts. A voice that gave me hope.

Professor McGonagall.