Chapter 3

Chapter 3

~Draco’s POV~

     As the Sorting Ceremony began, I zoned out, fully engulfing myself in thoughts of what happened on platform 93/4.

     Searching for any familiar faces, I spun around, to see the most stunning girl I had ever seen, intently staring at me. She had luscious, wavy hair flowing gently past her shoulders, her radiant face was soft and delicate and her full, alluring lips were slightly parted. But her eyes. I was swept away with the beauty of her dazzling, brown eyes, as we caught eye contact, it was instantly impossible to brake. I felt happy, for that short time, the empty feeling that went with me everywhere, lessened. She swiftly broke our gaze, as she looked to the talking person next to her. I quickly realised it was Weaselbee. I looked back at the girl to realise, to my utter horror, it was Granger. I noticed her hand was interlocked with Weaselbee’s and I felt this strange feeling, I had never felt before, rise up inside of me, burning my insides. Granger was staring at me again, this time however, her lips were turned down and her eyes narrowed, she was scowling at me. I was slightly hurt, however I quickly disguised it and turned away with my usual façade plastered on my face. What was happening to me! I was going mental! I had to avoid Granger as much as possible this year, I had to remember I was too good for her; she was some insufferable know-it-all with disgusting blood that no one would approve of. She would ruin my perfect reputation.

     I was flung back to the present day when I heard Professor McGonagall’s voice boom,

“Draco Malfoy” I looked around in question, I hadn’t taken any notice to what had been said, I had no idea what she was saying my name for. Blaise shoved me and I stood up from the long house table we were sat at. People everywhere just stared at me in shock, a few Slytherin’s applauded me. I still hadn’t the slightest idea why.

McGonagall continued, ignoring the lack of applause,

“And Head Girl will be….. Hermione Granger”. I realised a few things in the seconds as cheers erupted across the hall, ‘if Granger’s Head Girl, then I must be Head Boy’ and ‘this means I will have to spend a lot of time with Granger, after just telling myself to avoid her. This was going to be a struggle.’

“I would like to speak to you both after the meal,” McGonagall said, I nodded and sat down, as McGonagall finished, “Let the feast begin.”

Food appeared, piled high across all the tables, the first years gasped in amazement and grabbed as much as they could. I looked over at Granger, she was deep in discussion with her friends. Weaselbee seemed to be shouting, I smiled, ‘they must be talking about me,’ I thought, ‘he obviously isn’t happy she will have to spend so much time with me.’

~Hermione’s POV~

     I slowly sat down in shock, I had to spend time with Malfoy. The idea scared me a little. It didn’t help at all when Ron started yelling about how there was no way he would allow it. I sat in silence, as Harry and Ron started complaining together about it. But not long after I got fed up,

“Just stop it. It isn’t going to help anything. She has obviously done this on purpose, and you know McGonagall, she won’t allow anyone to boss her about. It is best left up to her, just don’t cause trouble. Besides it can’t be that bad.” I trailed off trying to convince myself it wouldn’t. I knew Harry and Ron both cared for me, but sometimes it was annoying. I can handle Malfoy, I am not the little girl anymore, who got deeply upset when he called me a mudblood. I am much stronger and I have been through a thousand things worse. I would just try my best to be civil around him.

They didn’t say everything else, we ate in silence, but I could tell Ron was seething. Malfoy really got to him, he always made fun of his house and his clothes because his family weren’t well off, like Malfoy’s were. Ron always took everything to heart, he couldn’t just ignore him like Harry and I could, Ron always had to retaliate with something that usually made him worse off than if he just said nothing.

     At the end of the meal, most people had left, there were only a few people left in the hall. I stood up, so did Harry and Ron. I noticed Malfoy sitting at the other side of the hall with Pansy, he looked up when I looked at him, as though he felt my gaze. I smiled slightly at him to indicate I was willing to be friendly with him. Pansy saw this interaction, whispered something to Malfoy and glared at me as she stalked out.

Noticing Malfoy looking, Ron suddenly grabbed me and pressed his lips to mine. He grabbed my waist and pulled me closer and I wrapped my hands around his neck. We kissed passionately until Harry pulled Ron away and said,

“We’ll wait for you outside the hall”. And they walked away. I felt overwhelmed from the kiss, I knew Ron only did it to prove a point, ‘mark his territory’. I didn’t like to think of it like that because Ron did not own me, but, in Ron’s eyes, the kiss was to show to Malfoy I was Ron’s.

I walked up to the front of the hall, to Professor McGonagall and Malfoy who was striding up to meet us. Once we both got to her she spoke,

“So you two will be Head Boy and Girl, I expect you to put your differences behind you and carry out your duties sensibly. You will be sharing a dormitory, on the fifth floor. The entrance will be at a new tapestry which only you will be able to see, unless you allow other people inside. Remember your password is ‘Nicolas Flamel’. Enjoy.” And with that she walked away. Leaving us both in shock at the thought we had to share a dorm together.

In silence we walked out of the Great Hall. Harry and Ron saw us walking out and came towards us.

“Let’s go sweetie.” Ron said, taking my hand. Since when did he call me ‘sweetie’?

I let go of his hand and looked at Harry and Ron,

“I can’t. Look, don’t freak out, but I have to share a dorm with Malfoy.”

“What!” Ron and Harry both exclaimed. “That’s ridiculous, she can’t expect you to do that.” Ron continued.

“She can and she has. I’m sorry, I can’t do anything and neither can you. I’ll speak to you tomorrow.” I walked away, off towards our dormitory, forgetting Malfoy was watching the whole confrontation. It was strange he was silent throughout it.

I heard a few thuds and I looked behind me, to see Ron pinning Malfoy to a wall, after taking him by surprise, attacking him from behind. Draco shuck Ron off him and glared at him.

“Get lost Weaselbee, I don’t want this either,” as he stormed past me, he said “Control your boyfriend, Granger.”