Chapter 17

Chapter 17

~Draco’s POV~

     And so she explained everything to me. Everything that had happened with Ron. I was shocked that it was Pansy’s work, but it sounded about right, because she always made insane plans with stupid reasons. Some part of me almost wanted to thank Pansy because it got Hermione to notice me, but obviously she seriously hurt Hermione, which I could kill Pansy for.

As soon as Hermione told me how ‘everything would go back to normal’, I forced up all my barriers, that had been down for a while in Hermione’s company. I put on a nonchalant face and made myself seem happy for her. I smiled and nodded. But on the inside I was caving in, suffocating. The pain speared my heart and swallowed me whole, the world collapsed and crumpled around me. It hurt terribly.

I had to remind myself she was never mine and I was never hers. But that just hurt even more. I looked deep into her chocolaty eyes and I was sure I could see unhappiness and uncertainty. I told myself it was my imagination wishing to see that. Why would she feel anything but happy when her ‘love’, Ron, was back.

It tore me into shreds every time I saw them together. They were together all the time; in every class and in the Great Hall, walking through the corridors and going to Hogsmeade, as though they were tormenting me. And to antagonise me further, Hermione would sometimes come into the common room with Ron. It killed me. I could see Ron was a nice guy, who deserved her, but that only aggravated me more.

Hermione did still look at me when she had finished her work, and she looked genuinely happy to see me and we communicated silently as always, but her attention was taken not long after, by Ron.

It wasn’t like Hermione was cutting me out now she had Ron; she was still really friendly with me, talking to me whenever she could. She was extremely kind and loyal, as usual. It was more like I was spacing myself from her, in an attempt to lessen the pain.

It didn’t work.

Nothing would work.