Chapter 37

Chapter 37

~Hermione's POV~

   I barely even saw Draco in the week of the exams; I spent every night in the common room with my head in my books. He was probably there too, doing the same, but I paid no attention, nothing was going to distract me from my studies. I was making sure that my exams would go smoothly, unlike the rest of the year. And as much as I loved my boyfriend, he was not going to be a distraction. Oh no. I had been waiting for these exams ever since I started Hogwarts. So as much as I was nervous, I was equally excited.

My first exam was Charms which went perfectly. I performed all the spells, and even earned an applause from my examiner for the final charm. I gained more and more confidence as each exam passed. In fact I quite enjoyed the process. The whole routine was relaxing. Walk in. Silence. Sit down. Open the paper. Write. Close the paper. Stand up. Walk out. Fairly easy, really.

Nevertheless, by the end of the week, I was exhausted. As I walked out of my final exam, Potions, in which I made five different potions perfectly, I felt elated and free.

I aimlessly wandered through the crowd of celebrating people, who were all rushing to get as far away from the exam hall as possible. I felt as though my ears were switched off, as their cheers and screams of joy sounded muffled. I searched through the sea of people, looking for that one special person. He waved as he pushed out through a gap in the crowd. Once Draco caught up to me, he wrapped his hands around my waist. "Well now the exams are over, care to give your loving boyfriend some well needed attention." I smiled and looked up at him.

"Oh hi! I'd forgotten about you!" I teased.

"Then you'd better make up for it Granger." He growled, but still smirking, playing along.

"Is someone feeling neglected?" I pouted.

"Maybe." He returned the pout, his eyes glistening with the hope of my implied question.

I took his hand and dragged him outside the castle and under the warmth of the sun. I pulled him in the shade of some trees, just as I had seen the previous seventh years do after their final NEWTs exam.

Draco looked at me in surprise when I pushed him to sit on the ground and straddled myself across his lap, to face him. I cupped his face in my hands and kissed his nose, his forehead, both cheeks, his eyelids, his chin, and finally his lips. He returned the kiss passionately, as I tangled my hands in his platinum hair. Shuffling us backwards, Draco leaned against the broad oak tree trunk, so he was free to wrap his arms around my waist and pull my body closer to his.

"Feeling neglected now?" I whispered breathlessly.

"Not at all." He replied, sure of himself.

We kissed and kissed and kissed, our bodies melting together until it was difficult to decipher where my body ended and his began. I was desperate for him; it only occurred to me at that moment just how much I had missed him throughout all my revision. I needed more. His touch, his smell, his taste. He overloaded all my senses, but it still wasn't enough.

A loud, sharp cough broke our lips apart. We looked up, with our limbs tightly locked together, at Harry and Ginny who were incredibly amused at interrupting us.

"Hello lovebirds." Ginny winked. Harry stifled his giggle. We scowled.

"What do you want?" I asked, irritated.

"Well we thought we'd better intervene, before those first years see more than they bargained for." Harry and Ginny burst out laughing this time, unable to hold it in.

Draco and I untangled our bodies, feeling suddenly conscious of possible watching eyes, which only moments before we couldn't care less about. We stood up, glowering, but still blushing and awaiting Harry and Ginny to gain a hold of themselves and stop laughing. When they finally calmed down, Ginny coughed and looked at us, with tears in her eyes.

"Besides, we wanted to see if you guys will join us for a trip into Hogsmeade to celebrate the end of exams."

"But it seems you both were celebrating pretty well yourself." Harry giggled.

"Oh get lost Harry." I shoved him, biting my bottom lip to stop myself smiling.

"Well come on then! Hogsmeade is waiting." Ginny announced and grabbed Harry's hand, signalling us to follow.

We walked together, chatting about the exams and the long summer ahead. I linked arms with Draco and he smiled down at me. We weaved in and out of the shops in Hogsmeade, stocking up on Bertie Botts beans for the summer, and mooching through the shelves of Zonkos. The hot sun was relentless, scorching our skin and forcing us to sweat. When we finally reached the three broomsticks, we gratefully took refuge inside. Ginny ordered four butterbeers and we sat down in our usual spot near the window.

"So Draco, what job are you going to train for?" Harry asked.

"A Healer, at St. Mungos, I think." He replied.

"Really." Ginny said, "I thought you might be an Auror."

"Nah. I'm sick of trailing after the bad guys." He said. "Besides this way I can help people permanently injured from the war. It will be like finally doing my part, you know." They both nodded.

"Is there a particular part you want to specialise in?" Harry asked.

"Well, I would love to help those affected by memory charms. I just think it's almost worse than dying, losing all your memories of the people you love. I really want to find a cure or a way to help them remember more."

"I didn't know that Draco." I whispered in awe, looking up at him. He looked back at me intently, and I reached my hand to his face and stroked his cheek. He nuzzled into it.

Ginny coughed, "Seriously guys, we are right here." She joked.

"So what about you?" Draco asked, interested.

"Quidditch, definitely Quidditch." Ginny replied instantly.

I smiled, "She wants to be on a professional team, she can easily do it."

"I've seen you play." He said to Ginny. "You're very skilled."

She made to bow, "Why thank you my adoring fans."

"So Harry? What about you?"

"Probably an Auror."

"They is no rest for Harry Potter. Defeating the dark side since birth." Draco joked.

"Someone has to protect the world." Harry laughed, playing along.

What about you Hermione?" Ginny asked.

"I'm not sure, I think I'm going to campaign for House Elf Rights in the Ministry, set up S.P.E.W. more prominently, and make people listen."

"Sounds good, but one thing Hermione." Harry pleaded. "Please change that bloody name! Spew! Seriously."

"It's not Spew Harry," I said exasperatedly. "It's S.P.E.W."

We looked at each other, then started laughing, realising we were having the exact argument we'd had for the past four years.

Hello everyone! I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Since this story is coming to a close with only one more chapter left, I have started a new story for you all to enjoy if you wish. My new story is called Blinded By The Light. And it is in no way related or connected to this story, Hate Is A Strong Word. It is set in Draco and Hermione's sixth year and it will be a much more realistic story of how the two rivals eventually get together, as really it would take a lot for them to overcome their hate. So be prepared that this new story is different from the one you have read, but I assure you I will put all my effort into making it an interesting read. So please, check out the first chapter of Blinded By the Light and go support that story and prepare yourself for the final chapter of Hate Is A Strong Word. Thank you!