Chapter Six

~~~

  The time has finally come around. The middle school is throwing a Valentine's dance for some reason. Everyone was talking about their 'dates' and bragging about getting one in the first place. Big deal, hot shot.

You subconsciously wished that Karkat would ask you to go with him. You wanted to dance with him. You wanted to be able to touch his shoulders in a slightly-more-than-friendly way. You wanted to be close enough that you could feel his heat. You wanted to see him smile at you and only you.

He was walking next to you in the hallway, blabbing about something while you were walking to your next period, Band.

Yes, you guys are the ever-so-infamous band geeks. Karkat played the flute while you played the clarinet. The entirety of the band was fairly large, requiring one of the biggest rooms in the school to accommodate all of the equipment and people.

"Are you even listening to me, Dave? You've been zoning out a lot recently," Karkat asked, snapping you out of your thoughts.

"Oh, sorry, what was it that you said?" You replied. You didn't tell him that you were thinking about how badly I wanted to go to that dance with him.

"So, I go and try to ask Terezi if she wanted to go the dance with me, but she said no. I liked her, too," Karkat liked Terezi. Terezi said no, thankfully, so maybe you still had a shot. Damn, you're selfish.

"Oh man, that sucks," you muttered, biting back an 'I'll go with you'. You still wanted to, though, and a simple conversation couldn't stop you from liking him.

Holy shit, you realize. You're head over heels for Karkat. You've got it bad. Really bad.

You try not to show signs of your sudden realization, but apparently don't succeed since Karkat asked you why you looked like you just solved all the problems in the world.

You just shook your head and told him that you were fine, leading him into the band room. The room was full by now, but your assigned seat was still wide open, along with Karkat's.

You shockingly weren't late.

The teacher started composing us to play some songs, but you couldn't keep yourself from glancing over at Karkat every few notes. Luckily, he didn't notice you staring and neither did the teacher.

  You wished you didn't want to look at his hair, or his skin, or his eyes, or anything else as more than a friend. It made life complicated. But his hair just looked so fluffy, especially when the brown tufts curled perfectly around his face, and his skin that looked soft to the touch, and his eyes with their pale greyness that always drew you in.

  Damnit, you need serious help. Maybe you could ask Bro about it at home. You wouldn't let on that it was Karkat, of course, but maybe you could still get some advice.

  The song that the band was playing ended and I made sure I wasn't staring at Karkat and focused on the sheet music in front of me. We played the next song and I made sure to keep my eyes firmly planted on the teacher.

  After that song ended, we went over concert details, getting pieces of paper to show to our families so that they knew it would be occurring in the first place. Bro might come to the concert, but he might not. I don't know.

  You started thinking about things as you packed up your clarinet to leave. You thought about anything to keep your mind off of Karkat. You thought about how Rose and Roxy were thinking of moving here. That would be pretty cool since you'd be able to go over whenever you wanted. Sadly, that would take a year to fully plan and it was only a suggestion. You don't blame them for not being sure about moving to Houston. Everything sucks ass here.

They were your favorite cousins. They were twenty times better than Leanne. They did stuff that you liked to do while still dragging you along to do stuff they liked to do. They included you and that's all that matters.

  Leanne didn't include you. She's a bitch.

  Karkat tapped you on the shoulder, notifying you that you were staring off into space and that you had to leave or the teacher would practically chase you out.

  You walked with him in the hallway, barely managing to keep yourself from making an effort to hold his hand. You wanted to, but you didn't.

  His hands were probably soft and warm. They probably were the best pair of hands to hold and you didn't want to hold any other hands.

  "I don't know if I'm going to the dance. I might stag if no ones going with me," Karkat mumbled. I bit back any type of remark and nodded.

  "So if I end up going there single, then are you going to be my wingman?" He joked. Oh man, he thought I would joke back. I did, but there was truth behind it.

  "Yeah, man. Of course. You're my best bro and I am going to stag the hell out of that dance with you," You answered. He didn't seem nearly as uncomfortable with your cussing as he used to. He'd even let one slip at lunch a few weeks ago. Everyone laughed at his blushing face when he realized what he had said.

  "I think John might be going with someone, but who knows," He gossiped. Karkat was a drama queen and he loved to gossip about everyone's personal lives. It's just a trait. You're pretty sure he learned it from his brother that never shuts up.

  "Oh really? Who?" You'll indulge in it, just so you can hold up a conversation with him.

  "I think maybe Vriska but chances are she'll turn him down and go with Tavros instead." He answered.

  "But doesn't she hate Tavros?" You asked. Yes, Dave, keep up this conversation. You've got two more minutes to make it to your next class and you want to talk with him the rest of the way.

  "Sort of. I think it's one of those cliche things where one of them really likes the other but bullies them so that they don't have to deal with it," he replied. Sounds like one of his awful movies.

  "But I've got to head to English and you have to get to Math, so I'll see you later," Karkat waved goodbye and set off down the hallway towards his next class and you turned a corner to go to yours.

  At least he can't distract you with his downright attractiveness when he's not in the room. Hopefully.

                                   ~~~

Dave has now almost fully come to terms with his flaming crush on Karkat.

Yeah this is one of those 'falls in love with their best friend' type of stories. Just like most Eremin fanfiction. Or Johndave.

Also, Bro is probably not the best source of love advice and it's going to be hilarious to see Dave try to avoid giving away that it's Karkat. Dave seriously has got a big storm comin'

This story is going to shit really fast and chapter times are getting much closer together for storyline purposes.

Yep. That's it. See ya guys later!

~Ghostie