SPOKEN: SELFISHNESS

I woke up to a blaring alarm and shook my head as I looked around to see myself in Jake's office and smiled at myself remembering I had fallen asleep. I swung my legs over the couch and heard a screech and gasped as I noticed I kicked Jake in the stomach.

I repositioned my feet to get up and I turned off the alarm before getting on my knees and looking at Jake.

"Are you alright? I'm so sorry." I said and he shook his hand.

"It's fine." He said through gritted teeth.

"Liar." I said and put my hand on his, that rested on his stomach. 

"What time is it?" He said in the middle of deep breaths.

"Um... four." I answered and he nodded.

"Well I put my number in your phone so feel free to call while you're gone." He said and crawled onto his couch.

"I can't just leave you here." I said as I stared at him extremely guilty.

"I'm not that bad. Just protect that heart of yours while you're gone." He said and I smiled.

"Thanks Jake." I said and ruffled up his hair before putting my sandals on and grabbing my things. I kissed Jake's cheek before I left, though I still felt guilty I was a little better. I drove to Grits and found an empty booth.

Grits was my favorite diner and I went here all the time. There was a violinist playing on the small corner stage and a nice crowd of teenagers. I pulled out my book and ordered a bowl of mashed potatoes and gravy with a cup of water. In the middle of No Luck a boy came over to me and gave me a small smile. The boy had light brown hair with green eyes, he was pretty tall, pale, rosy cheeks and cinnamon scented. He looked a year or two older than me with a chiseled face and abs with no facial hair.

"Can I help you?" I asked him.

"May I join you?" He asked.

"If you'd like." I said and he nodded, he sat across from me and ordered a grilled cheese and french fries.

"Why are you alone?" He asked me while waiting for his order and I took the moment from my book to make a dent in my mashed potatoes.

"Not really a people person." I answered and he nodded.

"What are you doing here?" I asked him.

"New kid." He said and I smiled.

"How is it?" I asked him.

"Being new?" He asked and I nodded.

"You've never been the new kid?" He asked and I shook my head.

"It's fine." He answered and I nodded.

"Why you ask?" He questioned.

"I'm going to boarding school on Monday and I just wanted to know how'd it seem." I answered and he nodded.

"Well I'll miss you." He said and I smiled.

"You don't even know me." I replied.

"I'll miss the time I didn't get to know you." He added and I laughed a little.

"I'm Orchard but I go by Orchid." I introduced.

"Nicholas." He introduced.

"What brings you here?" I asked him.

"My dad got a job offer. What takes you there?" He replied and I smiled.

"Fresh start." I answered and he nodded.

A waiter plopped Nicholas's order down in front of him and made his way back to the kitchen.

"Want a bite?" He offered and I declined.