Exposure

He was running. He was raised to fight back and protect himself, but he knew that this was not the right time. He was running for his life.

     Just seconds ago, the stranger had stepped out from the shadows, out into the dull flickering light of the street lamp. Seconds ago, it looked him in the eye, it's dead hazel eyes meeting his own, mirroring the color. Seconds ago, it disappeared from under the light, to reappear in front of him. Seconds ago, it muttered the phrase and gave that psychotic fanged grin peering out from under its hood that sent shivers down his spine.

     "I wonder what your blood tastes like."

     He ran.

     Frank quickly glanced behind him, his head sharply turning back then back facing front with a snap. The road towards the wooded area surrounding his home seemed to stretch on for miles, though in reality, not even a half mile was left before he would have to jump the fence. The fact that this creature was chasing him fueled his fears and notions. He focused on making each leg move, focused on making his lungs take in oxygen and breathe out puffy and foggy clouds of carbon dioxide. The rhythm of each sneaker slamming into the concrete created a rhythm for the song of silence seeming to engulf the empty streets. The stranger had no need to breathe, cast a light shadow, and did not make a single sound. It just silently followed Frank, ominously staying close enough to keep up, yet far away enough to make it seem like it was nothing out of the ordinary. Frank wanted to keep it that way; the fear of what would happen to him if the stranger caught him was enough to keep him running and fight the burning, throbbing pain in his chest. He just needed to make it to the forest, then he could lose the stranger in the woods. He could climb a tree, or try to head straight home. Ray would be home, right?

     Frank squinted his eyes, the sound of his heart pounding filling his ears. The fence was so close, yet so far. He just needed to make it to the fence. The fence, the fence, just to the fence...

     Fence!

     Frank launched himself at the fence, and grabbed on to the metal chain links. He pulled himself up, letting his sneakers catch a footing and take hold. He pulled himself up as fast as he could muster, trying to reach as high as he could. The stranger wasn't that far behind him now. He was running out of time. He felt his left hand grab the metal pole running over the top just as the stranger met with the grass. He grabbed it with both hands and pulled himself up, throwing himself over the fence. He resisted the urge to let out a scream as he landed on the frozen soil. He unsteadily stood up, looking behind him. The stranger stared at the fence, then back at Frank. It's eyes narrowed, as it reached out towards the fence. Frank watched in horror as the stranger grabbed hold and ripped the metal chains away from the poles, creating a large hole in the fence. It casually stepped through.

     "You really are stupid, aren't you?" it said.

     "Fucking bloody hell! Get the fuck away from me!"

     Frank didn't wait for a response. He turned on his heel, and shot towards the woods, looking back and forth and the familiar scenery around him. Oak tree there, pine tree there, the large maple tree he was aiming for ahead. All he had to do was get to the maple. Then he knew that the strange creature going after him was screwed.

     A sharp sting of pain erupted in Frank's cheek as a thorny branch whapped him in the face. He shut his eyes and pulled the branch back, ducking in the process. He went under the bush and continued his journey, a few drops of blood running down his cheek.

     "Shit!" he muttered to himself. He reached up with a gloved hand and wiped away the blood. He turned to look behind him at his pursuer, and tried to suppress a chuckle as he was hit in the eye. The moment of humor turned into fear as it seemed completely unaffected by the pain. Frank gulped and focused back on his path. Where was it?....Where was it?...