First Kill

"So, you're telling me that you are a vampire hunter, and you knew about it the whole time?"

Ray nodded as Mikey pushed up his glasses. Frank looked at both of them, continuing his thought.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"Because," Mikey started, "Ray isn't supposed to tell anyone. I'm not supposed to know. You and I both could be killed for knowing."

"The less people know about us," Ray said, "the better. If the public knows there are vampires on the loose, they'd be sent into a tizzy. We can't have that happen."

"You could have told me," Frank replied, "I wouldn't have told."

"But you would want to get involved. You would want to fight and kill. But you can't."

"But why?"

"No training, first of all," Mikey said, counting off reasons on his fingers, "not very in shape, you know nothing about vampires, and you couldn't fire a gun if you tried."

"Hey!"

"He's got a point," Ray pointed out. Frank crossed his arms.

"I outsmarted that bitch back there! I fucking stabbed him in the hand!"

"You would have died if you hadn't texted me."

"I could have killed him."

"You stood there like a pussy the whole time."

"You stabbed him through the chest."

"You almost threw up."

"You stabbed him through the neck."

"Whoa, whoa, whoa," Mikey said, cutting them both off, "Calm down on the graphic-ness. You're making me sick."

"Can it, Mikey," Frank growled, "I'm perfectly qualified!"

"No, you aren't!"

"Yeah, I am!"

Frank stood up, slamming his hands on the coffee table, Ray and Mikey jumped.

"I stood up to that damn thing! I'm perfectly capable of being a hunter!"

"Stabbing a vampire in the hand with a plastic knife doesn't count!"

"It fell out of the tree!"

"When you actually kill one, then maybe we could consider it!"

"Fine!"

"Fine!"

Ray and Frank glared at each other, Mikey sitting in-between them. He looked back and forth between them.

"Let's just hope that Frank never gets pulled into another situation where that is a possibility."

"You know that it will always be a possibility, Mikey," Ray said, looking over at him. He looked back at Frank, "Especially since you've been targeted. Frank probably has the vampire's scent on him. Other vampires will smell that and probably come after you looking for food. We'll need to get you some sort of protection against them."

"Protection?"

"A bag of salt. Clove of garlic. Something to ward off the vampires."

"Am I really in that much danger?"

"We all are in danger, Frank. Some more than others."

Frank flopped down back on the floor, sitting back around the coffee table again.