03

Youth
DAUGHTER
❝ And if you're still breathing, you're the lucky ones, 'cause most of us are heaving through corrupted lungs. ❞

Stefan and Delilah arrived at their second-hour room on time. They both took their seats in front and behind each other and prepared their materials for the class. Just before the bell rang, Delilah heard a small "spot" from her left side. She glanced over her shoulder at a girl with long, brown hair who gave her a small smile. She gestured over towards Stefan, and Delilah immediately knew that she wanted his attention.

"Erm," The girl cleared her throat and gave Stefan's shoulder. "That girl wants you," Delilah said and Stefan's forest-green eyes darted over towards the girl. He gave her a wide smile, Delilah furrowing her eyebrow at that. Well, then.

"Do you know her from somewhere?" Delilah questioned. "Because she sure seems to know who you are."

"Elena, Elena Gilbert. I think you two would get along," Stefan replied.

"Do you and her share one of those 'we've-known-each-other-since-diapers' friendships?"

The boy let out a small chuckle underneath his breath at that. "No, that we don't." His eyes searched the brunette, who was now known as Elena. She mouthed a few unknown words to him, Delilah giving her eyebrows a small furrow as she tried to make out what she was saying. Elena then pulled out a small poster from her backpack, holding it up to Stefan and Delilah's view. In bold, black letters read 50's Decade Dance.

Stefan gave Elena a soft grin and mouthed a few words back to each other. Delilah couldn't help but feel a small ping in her stomach. What was wrong with her? She and Stefan had only met not an hour ago. It was so wrong to feel this face already, so Delilah Amoretti face-palmed herself mentally. How dare she feel this way towards a guy she didn't even become acquainted with yet.

Elena gave Stefan a wide grin in return and turned over to show the poster to a girl sitting to her left. Stefan whispered her name to Delilah softly. Bonnie, the girl Elena's attention was currently focused on, nodded her head and grinned from ear to ear. Clearly, Bonnie had decided to go as well. However, Delilah wasn't one for dancing, let alone, dressing up. She only did so on special occasions, she probably wasn't even considering going until Stefan's voice rang in her ears.

"Are you going to go?" He questioned and Delilah snapped back to reality, turning to look at him.

"Huh?" She asked blankly.

"The 50's Decade Dance. Will you be going?"

"Um, well, I'm not sure yet. I might..." She trailed off and took her inner cheek in between her teeth. Delilah contemplated mentally whether to go or not.

"You should. Take it from me. It'd be a great way to get to know more people, honesty. You are the new girl here after all," Stefan said and smiled at Delilah. "You can come with me. I'll show you around if you want."

"That sounds nice. I'll think about it."

\\

Delilah's first day of school went fairly well, actually. It felt like one of those 'casual first day of school' days. She still needed to decide about the dance, she promised Stefan to let him know by the following day. When she arrived at her house, Delilah opened the door and called out for her aunt.

"Aunt Loretta? Hello?" She hollered from the bottom of the stairs and crinkled her nose in confusion where she heard no response, just dead silence. She might be asleep, was the first thought that came into her mind. Delilah sauntered into the kitchen where she found a small note sitting on the kitchen table. She lifted it up and it read: