06

Never Let Me Go
FLORENCE + THE MACHINE
❝  But the arms of the ocean delivered me. ❞

Damon Salvatore lay sprawled out across the living room couch, one of his legs kicked up over the other. He flipped through the pages of a poem book filled with famous writings-- God only knows how he managed to get a hold of it. He had gone through two of these books already in search of one specific poem: The Raven. Ever since last night, Damon couldn't seem to shake the thought of Delilah Amoretti out of his mind, so why not read her favorite poem in the meantime? She truly intrigued the young man and she left him yearning to know more. Maybe he'd drop by Mystic Falls High one day to surprise her. Who knows.

A small smile itched its way upon his stunning features when, at last, he found the famous Edgar Allan Poe piece of writing. And of course, like every single day, Stefan had to barge into the living room as his nosy self. The younger Salvatore brother walked towards Damon, his dark eyes glued to him. He didn't understand how he did it, how he made Delilah believe he had a pure heart so easily.

"What's the occasion?" Damon questioned as Stefan approached him.

"Nice act with Delilah last night," Stefan said with his arms crossed over his chest. "I bet she believes you're one hell of a ray of sunshine."

"I'm reading? Could you be any more... You?" Damon groaned.

"She's my friend and I'd really like it if you didn't do anything to screw everything up. Like always."

"Let's not forget I promised you an eternity of misery, brother. I'm just keeping my word and doing the best I can with what I've got," Damon huffed as he turned the page.

"So.. Just friends you say, huh? Well, does she know about you know-- ?" Damon added. Stefan glanced away which caused Damon's eyes to widen in amusement.

"Oh, so she doesn't know? What a shocker." Damon put his hand to his mouth, pretending to act surprised. "I thought you would have told her by now since you clearly like the girl."

Stefan said nothing as Damon flipped another page of the poem book. "You can't keep it a secret from her forever, I hope you know that." His eyes glanced upwards at his younger brother whose form towered over him.

Stefan knew he couldn't, but he knew the risk.

\\

The beautiful sun shined down upon Delilah's light-toned skin as she sat in the backyard of her aunt's house. That bright, Saturday afternoon, Delilah Amoretti decided to take the nice weather to her advantage and spend time outside daydreaming like she used to back in France during her free time. When things were calm and nice. Not that they weren't here... She quite enjoyed her stay here now all thanks to Stefan, Elena, and the gang. Not to mention, Damon, Stefan's brother, always seemed to keep her on her toes.

For once in a pretty long time, Delilah felt like she finally settled down with her life. She already had some amazing friends, bound to get more, graduate from high school alongside them, create new memories, and that really was enough to keep her amused with the town. The girl and her aunt hadn't been in Mystic Falls for more than four days and she already knew she wouldn't regret this move.

All of a sudden, a great idea came into her mind. Immediately, taking out her phone from her bag that sat next to her, Delilah scrolled down her contact list and pressed Stefan's name. When her call instantly went to voicemail, her tongue twisted within her mouth, unsure how to form her words exactly. As the beep indicated that she was to leave him a voice message, Delilah began to nervously speak into her phone.