Chapter 5

Jason and the others sat around a table in his hotel room. "So, is everyone clear on the plan?" he asked. With a collective nod from everyone, he stood up. "Great, then let's gear up and get ready to go."

Ella and Synn left the room and Jason went into his room only to come out in a suit. Osias and Jason stood alone in the room as they began putting on their gear. "So, is this the only mission that we're going to be doing while we're out here?" Osias asked as he began loading various magazines with military-grade ammunition.

"The only one we're getting paid for," Jason said as he tied his bow tie. "Don't worry though. The amount of money we get from this mission is going to be enough to last us the rest of this trip."

Osias put on a bulletproof vest underneath a military-style jacket with several pockets that he filled with his loaded magazines. "That's good to hear," he said as he began to put on a belt with holsters for his pistols. He pulled them out and began to equip the pistols as well as a sniper rifle with silencers.

"Yeah, normally these high-class assassinations pay a good amount," Jason said as he finished buttoning up his black blazer. "Hopefully, all goes well. I've done some research on the target's security and it seems that he's hired someone we shouldn't take lightly. The good news is that, provided the plan goes without a hitch, we shouldn't have anything to worry about."

Osias placed all his firearms into a guitar case and closed it. "Ready to go?" he asked, making one last equipment check and testing his sunglasses which had several settings of vision to help him with his targeting, not like he needed it.

Jason smiled as he grabbed a mask off the table, it was half white and half black covering his entire face. "Ready," he said.

Kylan and Marie walked up the steps of the mayor's mansion. "Remember, Marie. If you see someone suspicious, contact me first, then engage, but don't let your guard down," Kylan said. "And don't try to be a hero. If they're too strong, you get out as soon as you can. Just don't get yourself killed."

"Got it," Marie said. She was wearing a dress so that she could blend into the crowd easier. "Good luck." She went inside, leaving Kylan to stand guard outside.

When Marie got inside, she hid her weapon in the coat closet. It was a rapier with a red gem in the hilt, one of her magic gems like the others she had tucked away in the pocket of her short fringed coat. She looked around at all of the people and at the huge ballroom. There was a large crystal chandelier hanging above them with a skylight above that. The tile floor had a large and expensive looking carpet on it and there were marble pillars that helped hold up the balcony on the second floor.

Marie walked over to the side of the dance floor and watched all of the dancing people. She stared at her mask and put it on. It was white and really only covered the area around her eyes, but she wasn't really much of a fan when it came to masquerade dances anyways.

"Need a partner?" a guy asked her. He had on a black suit and white and black mask that covered his entire face. The only distinguishable features she could see were his wolf ears and tail.

"I don't know," she said. "I'm not all that good when it comes to dancing."

"Well, I'm not either," he said. "Looks like we have something in common. Now we can be bad at dancing together."

Marie cracked a smile as she took the guy's hand and they made their way to the dance floor. The two began to dance to the slow music of the musicians as they started talking.

"So, do you have a name, stranger?" Marie asked.

"I do, but there's no fun in telling you it," he said. "Besides, why start developing a relationship when we're not even going to see each other again after tonight."