Chapter One: Escape

Catharine could hear the quick rhythmic shuffle of her footsteps as she paced under streetlights bathing her in their orange glow. The houses around were settled quietly with pitch black windows leaving the neighborhood in silence, but within her raged a hard noise. She could feel her heart beating hard up to her chest leaving a slight pain in her neck and shoulder.

Thoughts swirled in every which direction in her mind and she was having trouble grasping any one of them. Fear and confusion were in a tug of war on what to do next as she traveled with no destination.

Suddenly, adrenaline shot from her core as she noticed the familiar red and blue lights that flashed through silhouetted leaves.

Her eyes darted around and she rushed to take salvation behind the nearest yard.

The lawn held nothing great to protect her, but she made her commitment and ducked behind trash bins. She pressed her legs close to her chest while she controlled her breathing.

The wheels of a cruiser cracked on the road taking its slow decent. From over her view of the bins that concealed her, she watched the lights flash in the windows' reflections slowly coming down the houses. Her eyes focused on the irregular white light that flashed up into her view. It was searching for her.

Her breathing stopped and her eyes laid on the ground. The white light drove up onto the lawn and all of the worst was flooded through her mind.

Praying to a God she was uncertain existed she held her eyes shut not wanting to face whatever would happen to her.

Upon opening her eyes again there was no relief even after its passing. She sat for a moment. Hopelessness took over her fear. There was no longer an urge in her for escape, but to just cry and call it quits.

She knew she couldn't do that, she needed to at least fight for her freedom. With a deep sigh taking its leave from her chest to steady her breathing she had found within her the strength she needed.

New found confidence taking over, she ran further into the back where she crossed into the next yard. Needing to be quick, if she managed to cross the road and sneak into the next yard she could manage herself through the woods to the main road.

With that, taking a leap of faith into the street, she sprinted. Not even looking for the lights the searched for her she managed to scramble to the next yard. She jumped off the rock wall behind the house and gained momentum as she rolled down the hill of brown pine needles. She was paralyzed for a moment but quickly knew she needed to rally herself back up.

Lifting herself, she knew exactly where to go. She stumbled through pain and darkness but followed the path through fallen trees.

Had she not tripped at one point she would've never noticed the light hanging from the trees and the terrible music coming from it.

She watched it for a moment and realized through a cutout window that it was nothing more than some guys having fun.

Brushing the scene off, she continued to her destination. And when she had arrived, she looked across to the glorious sight of the gas station. It was brightly lit and with one car parked in the lot she hoped was the employee's.

Before taking another leap of faith into the road she hung in the shadows inspecting the street. Everything was so silent she could hear the buzz of the street lights, though on cue as she took another sprint she could hear the sirens start in the distance and it felt almost like a nightmare.

As soon as she reached across the road she gathered herself behind the building and hid in a spot she knew so well. A large bush though covered all around there seemed to be a small entrance next to the tree that was its partner next to it.