Chapter Three: Swings

Catharine wanted to, at least, pretend to trust Desmond but was finding it difficult. Every time she got brave enough to be casual with him she expected a backlash from something she said. She wondered if that was truly Desmond or if this familiar fear was ingrained into her. 

The night was still young and she wondered if he was going to keep her in the room the rest of the night or if he was going to put her to work. It was on him that the room stood silent, both of them unfamiliar on how to talk to one another.  

"So," he picked up turning around to the door, "Would you like a tour?" She nodded and followed him into the hall. "There's three bedrooms up here and two downstairs. All of them are probably in as much disarray as the one you were in. There is also two bathrooms up here, one master and one connected to two rooms, which you've already seen." He looked back to make sure she was following him. They took their descent down the stairs and noticed the stains on the walls and carpet with cobwebs that hung in corners.

He began walking down another hall, this one with windows along the right hand side. She looked out over the tall grass that surrounded the house. Stars twinkled in the sky and when her eyes peered back down she noticed a neighborhood that sat silently at the end of the hill. It brought her peace to feel so close to humanity. Civilization was just a walk down the hill.

"This floor is mostly my domain. It makes up an office and gathering room with an adjoined library." She smiled to herself at the word library.

He opened the door to his office and though it was cluttered and dusty, it was amazing. Along the wall behind a large oak desk and behind the black leather chair were shelves of books and various vintage knick-knacks and oddities. Peeking over the spins of the books she noticed there wasn't much she could actually translate. Words and symbols she'd never seen.

There were open windowed doors that lead to a balcony with soiled curtains torn and lopsided In the corner.

"This is where you'll most likely find me," he informed allowing her look around. She jumped as he came up behind her not even hearing him make a step. "If you like this, wait till you see the library Since you will be living here you're more than welcome to read anything. In your spare time of course. This floor isn't set off limits, but I ask you do not come into my office if I don't answer your knock. You may not like what you see."

Out of everything he had said, she knew his last remark was a direct statement he wanted her to comment on. He was purposely throwing her into his darkness to get a reaction. Her body quivered nervously before trying to compose herself. Taking a slow deep breath, "How did you come across these books?"

She pulled out a random book, but before she could open it he had lashed out his own heavy stoned hand wrapping around her wrist. A scream escaped from her lips when his grip started to form claws and the book fell to the floor.

Suddenly, he ripped away his body bursting into a large bat-like beast crashing into the windows.

As she studied over him she felt dizzy and unsettled in her core. Goosebumps ran down her back and arms and she almost couldn't believe her eyes. From the back she noticed the tail, large horns, and fur. It could only be seen in a movie.

From under her, her legs collapsed, unmoving in awe watching the creature fly off and blend into the darkness. She pulled her body into fetal position and cried into her lap letting the cold air take over her body.

After crying herself out, she sat blank faced out at the window. All she could repeat in her mind was 'why me'. Her eyes began to scan the room her panic attack now easing her up from the floor. She felt out of place and the longer she couldn't figure out what to do with herself she became more frustrated.