Chapter Two: Drink

The pulse of Catharine's heartbeat lulled in her ear as her eyes began to flutter only to see as much darkness around her as there was behind her lids. She was laid awkwardly on her side with her arm under her head.   

Pain was instantaneous as she awakened. Her side throbbed, and her head stung on her arm that was painfully asleep. She knew if she needed to run she'd be unable to.

When her eyes had adjusted to the room she noticed it wasn't as dark as she initially thought. A drape of orange light that blanketed a dresser against the wall she was facing. It was high with five draws and on the top laid random objects like packs of cigarettes, receipts and a picture that wasn't in a frame. It contained a dark skinned woman and two children; one in each arm.

Blankets and sheets she laid on felt hard and smelt like body odor. Even the bureau she stared at was layered in a barrier of dust and the room just smelt dirty with the lingering odor of smoke. Her stomach hardened and dropped into her gut as she began to wonder where she was.

The room was quiet as she was thrown back into her own mind, repeating her events of last night, from breakfast that morning to her attack. With each memory she groaned to herself with the agony of wishing she could go back and change everything to even waking up in the morning.

Darkness left her with her thoughts as she started to boil in her anger and fear when her regrets turned to pride. She was proud of what she had done, she was proud of her escape and was proud she almost got away with it. Though here she laid awaiting the punishment karma had set for her.

Tears began to burst from her eyes and sobs she couldn't choke down punched the side of her ribs. Every cry and wail was painful yet it didn't stop the rivers of tears that ran down her cheeks.

In her time alone she managed to move he r arm out from under her head and onto her back. There was a painful rip from her skull as the blood had dried chunks of her hair to her shoulder and arm.

The sliver of light from the partially covered window had soon turned dark and she had laid there long enough thinking of all scenarios that could happen to her. Each one getting more terrifying. Whatever she thought of, she wouldn't of ever imagined the Hell that awaited her.

Her breath stopped and a sting of panic shot up from her gut. She could hear the crack of the door and when the lights turned on she squished her lids in pain.

"I'm sure worse happened to you last night." It was a man's voice. Condescending and cold.Though after hearing the words everything went silent, she couldn't feel a presence around or even hear footsteps that she strained to hear in the room. For all she knew she could have heard a ghost.

Her eyes flickered open as they adjusted to the light. She turned her head to the side slowly and was almost taken aback noticing the man directly next to her. She was even more sickened when she had taken in his appearance as he sat on the bed.

A young man with curled oily dark hair and the same colored eyes to match. A substance was dried in crusted mats through his hair, but there was something off. She settled her stare on the horns that bulged from the sides of his head. Long and stained in colors of brown and red. Whether real or fake, they were disturbing none the less.

He put a tray down at the end of the bed. She saw the stained sheets and thrown about wrinkled blankets, none of them covering her. It seemed she had just been tossed aside on the bed to be dealt with later.

On top of her panicked nerves, her stomach sat aching from hunger. She had no idea how long she'd been laying on the bed, but she knew it was causing her body more pain as acid slivered up her throat burning her nostrils and esophagus.