Chapter Six: Manipulation

Before Catharine's very eyes she watched as a beast, that could only be described as wolf-like, bashed around the room and into bookcases. The creature was dark brown in color with small horns, large teeth, and yellow eyes ten times too big for the monster's head. It's black nose whipped around the room and when it's disfigured eyes laid on her, it began to charge.  kbbib  

A scream left her from her chest as she clutched her arms around her face and dropped to the floor. The monster's growls and howls stopped as she sat untouched. Peering up from her arms she could see Desmond hold the monster by it's neck and then throw it back to the shelves.

On the floor laid the large wolf paralyzed as Desmond began to chant in words she didn't understand. The beast began to shift, leaving the naked body of Daniel within its spot. Human fingers started to twitch as he groan.

"You will not hurt her, she's under our protection," he said emphasizing 'our' as he lifted Daniel to his feet.

Daniel was brought to the couch in front of the fireplace and Catharine couldn't help but stare at his head. Two small horns stuck up from the side of his head, though they weren't nearly as large as Desmond's. He wrinkled his nose as he looked around with a daze and when he peered over to Catharine asked, "Why does she smell?"

She knew that Desmond couldn't give him an exact answer, but he tried. "Her soul is different. Don't you worry, you won't smell things like her out there. You'll be able to distinguish the smells and tastes of blood and soul."

Then they both looked over at Catharine who stood waiting for something to be said, but it was clear they just wanted to know why she came in. "I just wanted to make sure things were okay," she explained.

"Everything's perfect, and I'm sure Daniel would agree," Desmond said as he took a seat next to his newly added pack member. The first one to the demon pack.

"It's Dan," he said trying to correct.

"Dan?" he questioned as if it weren't even a word. "It's Daniel. You've been born into a new life and within this new life, you are Daniel. Dan makes you sound human."

Even Daniel wasn't sure what he meant, but accepted it without any argue.

Out of instinct Catharine grabbed the throw blanket on the back of the couch and draped it over the naked young man. Though once the spread was over him she wondered if she had taken her kindness too far. After all, she knew Daniel to be a killer long before he was turned.

"Thank you," he muttered and looked over his shoulder to her. From his dark almond eyes she could see that Desmond and him were related in a way. They shared the same dark and blank stare with forced personality. She'd seen this look before and if she'd never known a sociopath she'd of never picked it up.

"Are there any clothes for me?" he asked.

"I've already prepared you some clothes and your room," she said.

"Perfect," Desmond said as he lifted himself. "For now, we'll go for a hunt."

Daniel stayed on the couch clutching the blanket to himself as if his now dead body could feel cold. "Hunt?" He asked and peered over to Catharine then back to him. "As the thing?"

Desmond held out his hand to coax him up. "Yes, we will hunt in our demon forms."

"She's not coming with us, right?"

Catharine shrunk in her own body. She realized that every monster that Desmond was going to take back to the house would think she smelt. It seemed like her days would be numbered in the manor if her smell couldn't be tolerated.