12. Haunting

"Where are we going?" Derek questions from behind me, following closely as I trudged through the green trees of the preserve. His silence up until this moment had provided me the opportunity to think and then overthink what I was going to do. It was futile to think about it, I was going through with this wether I wanted to or not.

I bit my lip, following the tug I felt every few minutes. It was like a personal guide to my destination I had been feeling since arriving to the school. We were almost there, just a few more steps.

"The Nemeton?" Derek's voice echoed in the dense foliage once we had come to stand at the base of the clearing. The giant tree stump being illuminated by the bright moon right in the center.

"Yeah," I murmured, digging into my pants pocket and beginning to pulling out the velvet bag there. It seemed to be burning a whole in my sweats and making itself much more apparent with each step closer to this thick tree stump.

"Your phones ringing," Derek pointed out to the lit screen that yet again rang out. It's screen lighting up the black fabric of my sweats.

I grumbled, dropping the bag back into my pants and instead pulling out the phone and checking to see just who was calling me. Scott had called me about seven times already and if he hadn't gotten the message that I wasn't in the speaking mood then I don't know what would tell him. However, it wasn't my puppy faced boyfriend who had an uncanny ability to check up on me multiple times, it was my strawberry blonde haired best friend.

"Hello?"

"Don't do it."

"What? Why?" I questioned, not even bothering to question why she knew just what I was about to do. This was Lydia after all and the girl had known my head inside and out even before we were both supernaturals.

"That feeling I'm getting, it's getting stronger and I can feel you slowly linking away. Don't do it, I'm serious."

I huff, seriously thinking her warning through. She was right, of course she was right this was Lydia Martin were talking about.

"I can't... I need to do this. I'm going to find Stiles." I murmured back, already standing over the nemeton and watching the many rings under my feet. It's power was practically consuming me, pushing all the power I possessed to the side and showing who the real boss here was.

My fingers hit the end call button before she could say anything else. I knew her, she was most likely going to get Aiden or Ethan to come and stop me but they would be too late.

Derek's free eyes now looked frustrated and cautious as I pulled the black bag out of my pocket and dumped the small glass containers in my hand.

"Mistletoe and Wolves Bane. Did you steal those from Deaton?" He questioned me, stepping closer to the nemeton to take a closer look at the things in my hand.

"I didn't steal them." I shook my head and told the truth, I had no fucking clue how they got inside my house. I didn't question why or how I had been told, all that matter was finding Stiles.

"You stole them," Derek counters.

Huffing I roll my eyes," temporarily misappropriated."

The words tumble out of my mouth and I'm reminded of just who's said them in the past, my lips intentionally lifting into a smile. I'm doing this for him, it's always been for him.

"You drink those you'll start dying," he reminds me. Derek's seen what these things have done to me before and it's not pretty, in fact, it's almost deadly. I shouldn't even try to do this but it was necessary.