2 * BLACK DOG * 2

HARRY

I wake up to the light pouring in the front window, peeling my eyes open against the harsh California sun. I look around, finding myself sprawled out on the old 70s style striped couch in the living room with Ashlyn practically on top of me. I shove her off, accidentally knocking her off the couch entirely, and wobbly stand up from my uncomfortable position.

She stays asleep despite the hard fall and part of me wonders if I should check her pulse. I decide against it and instead take in the trashed state of my apartment. I rub my hand against my chest and find my tshirt is soaking wet with vodka and a faded memory of a wet tshirt contest from last night surfaces. I rub the backs of my hands against my eyes, shaking my head, wishing I could remember the events of last night. At least waking up in solely my boxers with Ashlyn on top of me clears up the question of how I ended my night.

I walk through the living room, kicking red plastic cups and empty tequila bottles around to create some sort of path to the kitchen. If our landlord came by we'd be dead. The floor is sticky and in some places still wet from drink spills which triggers another memory, her. I remember that the clearest of all, stains of amber on white and golden brown eyes looking into mine.

I shake my head to dismiss my thoughts and start the kettle on the stove. I open a window to fan out the intense smell of pot and alcohol but it doesn't do much in the time I'm stood there leaning against the counter waiting for the kettle to heat. Reaching to the top shelf where Niall can't reach, I grab his medicine and two coffee mugs. I fill one with hot water and a teaspoon of honey before dropping in a Yorkshire tea bag and two of his pills; the other with coffee and a heavy pour of creamer.

"Morning."

Niall's groggy voice comes from around the corner where he appears walking out of his bedroom, running his hands through his ruffled bedhead.

"Making tea?" He asks as he bends over the sink and splashes his face a few times to wake himself.

He reaches for the medicine cabinet, his squinting eyes running over the labels on the bottles in search for the painkillers most likely. I swiftly close the cabinet and grab his mug off the counter, redirecting his attention.

"Here, I made you tea," I say, handing him the mug and he takes it with shaking hands, "You don't need those."

"But I...thanks." He mumbles, cupping the mug with both hands as if he's cold, "Did you see Katie last night, she was all over me, eh?"

"Yeah mate, I saw." I laugh, leaning against the counter.

"And you and Ashlyn man," He chuckles, nudging my shoulder, "saw you two having some fun."

"Yeah, yeah, I guess." I shrug, looking up to see him wiggling his eyebrows, "come on Niall, you know how it goes."

"Yeah, I know Harry, you don't date, blah blah blah." He sighs, rolling his eyes.

"Come on," I laugh, leading him to the living room, "let's watch some TV."

I sit him down on the couch and turn on the TV, handing him the remote so he can watch what he wants. He takes a small sip of his tea as he flips through the channels and while his lips turn up a bit at the taste, he takes another sip. I turn to walk back to the kitchen to start cleaning up but I'm interrupted as his voice calls out after me.

"Harry, will you watch with me?"

I look back over my shoulder to meet his sad eyes and I hate that I can't say no to the little son of a bitch. I can tell when his pouted lips turn up into a small grin that he knows I won't shoot him down.