13. Propriety

The morning cold came as a shock to Pleasant as she stepped off the train. She carried her small parcel of important things and stood by while a porter helped Margaret-Gay with her cases.

"Will you get us a coach, Pleasant," her cousin called to her. "There is still two hours to Natt Fristad."

Pleasant didn't need the reminder. What more there would be no time to rest for tomorrow was a school day. With the Monhollen sons securing the coaches Pleasant waited with Margaret and her things along with Mrs. Monhollen.

"Oh I just can't wait to get home and show Susanna my new hat!" Margaret said. "I brought her back a set of gloves for church though she always says she can't accept my gifts. I eventually get her to take them."

"You behave as though you have been away for months, Miss Singer," Mrs. Monhollen said.

"Tis Margaret," Pleasant said casually as she watched people going by.

"Well who do you have to rush home to, Pleasant? Your horse?" Margaret sniped. "I have a gentleman waiting for me."

Pleasant breathed into her gloved hands. Henry Blanche came from a decent family. Pleasant had been invited to dinner that night her proposed to Margaret-Gay. He hadn't approved of her profession and wanted to introduce her to his brother which fortunately never happened. Margaret had gone through great lengths to avoid marrying Daniel Purefoy. Pleasant had to admit that her cousin was clever but could never accept the way she openly flirted with other men when she belonged to another.

Finally Minas approached and everyone was loaded up and the journey began to Natt Fristad. Pleasant tried to drown out Margaret-Gay's chatter by watching the snow fly. It so resembled ash. Her mind drifted to Collect Lake where they ice-skated in the winter. It had been something to keep her mind off of home until she was old enough to attend Fisk. A smile came to her face. She didn't care what Margaret said. At the end of the day her cousin was dear to her but she was wrong for thinking it was a disappointment to be going home to only a horse. The lake. She closed her eyes. She hadn't set foot on it since the day she fell through.

The coach dropped Pleasant off first before making its way deeper into the hills to the Monhollen and Singer residences. She waved goodbye to them then made her way up the snowed over path to the cottage on the same property as the school. Snow dusted the tops of the buildings and the bell hung cold in the belfry. She gathered five logs from beside the porch and carried them inside. Setting them by the fireplace she used some already brought in to get the fire going before doing the same to the stove.

Going into her bedroom she retrieved her blankets and hung them just close enough to the open flame to get them warm. The hotel had been a lavish affair but she was glad to be back among her humble comforts.

After adding another log to the fire she returned outside to visit her horse. When he heard her boots in the snow he poked his head out of his stall and greeted her. "I know," Pleasant said. "I've been gone for far too long." She kissed his snout and stroked his curved ears. She examined his midnight black coat and nodded in approval. "The girls took good care of you for me." She said giving his fleece lined blanket a tug. Seeing that the bedding was dry and that he had been fed she placed another kiss on his star. "Perhaps we can go for a ride tomorrow," she said. "I know, I know. But I'm much too tired today and I need my rest." She gave his chin a scratch. "You keep warm now."

"Miss. Day!"

Pleasant turned to the road as a sleigh rode by carrying Mary and Hattie her sibling students. "Good morning girls," she said going to the picket fence as the draft horse was slowed. "Good morning, Mr. and Mrs. Meeks."