37. Trigger

The front door of Tucker House opened before Baldwin finished tying his horse outside. He was greeted by Susanna's warm smiling face as the woman rubbed her arms against the biting cold.

"She has been asking about you, sir," Susanna said as she led him up stairs. "She calls you her gentlemen caller."

"Oh no," Baldwin said as he followed her. "Perhaps I come too often."

"I am glad you do, sir," Susanna said. "You've put spark back into the wee lass' heart. She has been up and about a lot more and tried to get Clifford to take her on a carriage ride."

"Is that so?" Baldwin asked as they reached the top of the stairs.

"Aye, sir," Susanna said. "It is your brother says laughter is the best medicine."

Baldwin smiled wryly. "Minas," he said. "The optimist."

"Someone has got to be, no?" Susanna asked.

Baldwin gave her a nod. "You are right, Miss McNamara," he said making the petite woman smile.

"Shall we see your lady now?"

Baldwin couldn't stop himself from grinning and laughing.

Susanna smiled too. "You're as handsome as your father in a smile, sir," she said then led the way into May's room.

"Mr. Monhollen!" May shouted jumping up from her chair. "Look at the new pillowcase I made. Do you think Alice will like it for the baby?"

"I am certain she will love it," Baldwin said. "And I've brought something for you." Reaching into his pocket he pulled out a book and handed it over to May.

"Beautiful Joe," May read the title.

"It's all from a dog's prospective," Baldwin said. "I think you will enjoy it."

"I am certain I will, thank you," May said. Scooping up one of her kittens she returned to sitting. "Will you stay for lunch?"

Baldwin met Susanna's eyes. "I must be going unfortunately," he said. "It is a big responsibility to run this town."

"Of course," May said standing again. "Oh, I've finished Pleasant's quilt." She ran over to her bed and picked up the quilt folded there. Taking it by the edges she let the deep blue fabric unfold sending stars across the floor. "What do you think?"

Looking at the stars Baldwin swallowed a lump in his throat. "It looks wonderful she is going to love it." He turned to Susanna. "I should be going."

"I'll show you out."

"I'll show myself out, thank you," Baldwin said. He quickly turned away before they could stop him and jogged down the stairs. Stepping into the cold he put his hat on his head and untied his horse. Climbing into the saddle he rode to the street yielding for a surrey going in the opposite direction.

"Good afternoon, Mr. Monhollen," Josie greeted from the seat as she reined the horse. "It's nice to see you out riding."

"Afternoon, Miss Langermaid," Baldwin tipped his hat. "How are your folks?"

"Very well," Josie said. "I just took my Father to the station, we saw your cousin there. He seemed to be in an awful hurry."

"Cedric?"

Josie nodded. "Is something wrong sir?"

"No," Baldwin said. "Nothing is wrong." Without another word he nudged his horse into a gallop leaving Josie confused on the road.

/

With the Hollister brothers arrested as horse thieves Florence felt the hand of justice shake hers. It was good to see the wicked get their reward. Addison on the other hand seemed less concerned and she tried to imitate his example as they walked home from church with Pleasant on Sunday afternoon.