31. Cassiopeia

As the seasons changed, Pleasant once again found herself alone with Polaris and Florence as Addison Geiger was away on business once more, this time to Michigan. The two women had taken up knitting, creating scarves and hats and gloves. Florence had even made a cream colored infant sacque.

"I'm still amazed that one state can be made up of two parts," Pleasant said.

"Most people never give much thought to Michigan," Florence said. "In the winter when the lakes freeze they have to carve trough the ice. There are a lot of immigrants there and that means good business for a low cost doctor like Addison."

Pleasant set her needles aside and looked to the autumn leaves blowing. It felt like an eternity since she left Natt Fristad.

Florence stood and set the makings of baby booties aside. "I'm going to put the kettle on, do you want anything?"

"I'm fine, thank you," Pleasant said getting up herself. "I think I'll take a break and ride Polaris."

"Then you'll want something warm when you return," Florence said. "Don't stay gone too long; it will be dark before you know it."

"I won't," Pleasant said. She retrieved her hat and coat from by the door then set out to the stables. As usual Polaris greeted her with a hearty neigh. "Ready to take a walk?" Pleasant asked as she put on her gloves. She quickly saddled Polaris then climbed up on his back. Inside the stables she almost felt transported back to Natt Fristad and the quiet country hillside.

The sharp winds made Pleasant wish for a scarf as Polaris carried her up the streets. Many people were out and offered greetings as she passed them. She took a street known to be shorter than the rest but long enough for Polaris to get a good stretch. She wanted to be home before sunset so not to worry Florence. The poor woman was worried enough about her brother so far away.

As they walked up the street they came upon a cluster of people outside a house. Letting her curiosity draw her in Pleasant dismounted Polaris and approached the sign that had been erected outside it. She knew the house to sometimes be used to host social or political events though she had never been to any of them

Mr. Forbes' art gala, free admission. She had started to pass up the opportunity when a man and woman stepped out carrying a large oil painting of a prairie. She watched them climb into their carriage with the purchase before riding away. Leading Polaris over to a tree she tied him. "I will only be a minute," she said only for the horse to give a protesting pull. "Calm yourself," she laughed. "We still have a couple of hours of day light. I'll be quick." Kissing his star she hurried into the building.

The floor plan was that of an ordinary house only all the furniture had been moved in order to make way for easels to stand freely with paintings on them. Some paintings hung on the walls and other very large ones were propped up on the floor. Aside from herself only two other people remained in the building. She passed among the paintings which were mostly of landscapes in various seasons.

A painting above the fireplace depicted women with prams walking on a wet street that looked very much like the ones outside. When she walked into the next room she found herself alone. Paintings lined all four walls and a flight of stairs went off to her right. Starting left she went from each painting to the next. These consisted of children at play with each other and animals.

When she reached the far wall she froze as she looked up at the painting. A chill went down her spine and into her hands turning her whole body into ice. The little girl in the painting was leaning out of the window with her hands raised up and from them flew a little bird. It was the same, it was exactly the same save for one thing. The little girl with the bird she once knew had been black and the one before her now had white skin; but it was the same.