I

A throne, lying empty
A reign, incomplete
Alone, for eternity
In pain, without cease

A heavy sigh could be heard from the Prince as he gazed at his reflection with little interest. Dark, bleak orbs stared back at him with the same feeling of distaste. Lazily, Noctis readjusted the tie he had wrapped firmly around his neck. The feeling wasn't satisfying. The restraints of the tie resembled the feeling of having hands wrapped tightly around his throat, squeezing the living breath out of his very being. "This god damn tie." he cursed.

"Noct."

Noctis looked up from his tie to see the reflection of his royal adviser approaching him. "Ignis." he greeted.

Ignis peered at Noctis behind his glasses. He didn't fail to notice the frustration plastered across his face. "Need help?" he asked, his gloved finger pointed at the crooked tie that hung awkwardly on the Prince's neck.

"If you don't mind." Noctis replied, looking down at his failed attempt of dressing himself.

Ignis chuckled lightly under his breath and went to help his friend. With quick hands he readjusted the tie with ease. "Even as a king, you are still unable to dress yourself properly." he joked.

"Shut it." Noctis mumbled, taking a quick glance at his reflection once more. The sight of himself all dressed up in a suit was nothing new to him. Regardless he didn't enjoy it. For one they were very uncomfortable and sometimes itchy. The structured material was very restricting on his movement. But as the now king of Lucis, he was expected to wear something more formal like his late father did, instead of his usual casual shirt and cropped trousers.

Sometimes he wondered how his friend Ignis was able to survive wearing suits daily.

"You ready?" Ignis asked.

Noctis breathed out yet another sigh and nodded. "Yeah.." he simply replied and turned his back towards the mirror before walking out of the room with Ignis following close behind.

. . .

Grand doors opened before the Prince. He always got a feeling of dread whenever he entered this part of the palace. As much as he didn't like it, he knew that he'd have to adjust to it sooner or later. Presented before him was the Council Room where the politics of Lucis took place. With their beloved King Regis no longer in rule, it was now Noctis' responsibility to look over the kingdom. Feeling slightly tense at the unsettling atmosphere of the room, Noctis walked forward, his footsteps echoed loudly across the cold hard floors.

The room had a grand design. The marble floors were slick and smooth, reflecting everything above their clean surface. Tall onyx walls reached out to the high ceilings, enveloping the room in a dull grey. Dark tapestries draped down from the ceiling, each hanging above statues of solemn maidens. A great arched window at the far end, allowed the morning light to pour into the dark room. Statues of angels stood on top of large pillars, looking down upon the men of the council listening to their every whisper. A chandelier hung above the large meeting table where ten men in dark suits sat evenly on each side. An empty chair was positioned at the head of the table waiting to be sat on.

When Noctis entered, the men all rose from their seats, their eyes fell on him as he walked towards his position at the head of the table. He felt uncomfortable under all their gazes following his very steps. Noctis stood tall as he looked down upon the council men, his eyes scanned their bearded faces as they stared at him with a stoic expression. Noctis recognised many of the faces. He had seen them around when Regis was still in reign. Those who were once young had now aged. Their skin sagged and their once pigmented hairs were now replaced with colours of white and grey. Many of them had doubted the young Prince when he was the next in line, but Noctis didn't blame them. He too felt that he wasn't prepared to hold such a responsibility.But it was a fate neither him or the kingdom could escape.