III

The cruelest lies are often told in silence
for your soundless words betray our thoughts
So tell us why, though we're given life
are we meant to die, helpless in our cries?

As you awoke from your restless slumber, the first thing you noticed was the cold air that had enveloped the small bedroom overnight which sent a shivering sensation to wash over your body. The room was still dark, indicating that it was either the middle of the night, or very early in the morning. Groaning, you turned yourself to your side and forced your eyes shut. Your hands gripped at the thin blanket, pulling it over your shivering body. But no matter how much you wanted to fall back asleep, you knew there was no point in trying anymore. As much as you wished to stay asleep forever, you would have to wake up sooner or later since sleeping was only a temporary escape from your torments. Waking up was no longer the pleasure it once was. You'd feel that fleeting moment when you would feel whole again. But before you're even given the chance to savor that sweet moment, your thoughts would once again be gripped by inexplicable terror. As though the devil himself was reaching into the well of your subconscious and ripping out deeply repressed fears that even yourself never knew existed.

Slowly and reluctantly, you opened your eyes to finally meet the new dawn. You sat up, and dragged yourself out of bed to go to the bathroom. Turning on the faucet, you cupped your hands under the stream of cold water before splashing it onto your face. The cold temperature sent a tingling sensation to your skin like it was washing away your tired state. However your reflection showed otherwise. Framed by a border of rust, with its surface dull and worn from age, the mirror showed a face of anguish and pain, drained from any sliver of happiness. No amount of water was enough to wash away the frown that marred your once joyful smile. You took notice of your unflattering appearance being your dark circles and prominent eye bags. You wouldn't be surprised if they ended up being permanent. But why would you even bother caring? It wasn't like there was anyone to impress anyway. If you were worrying about what you looked like with the lifestyle you were going through now, you were better off impressing the goddess of death; Etro herself.

By the time you had finished your usual morning routine, the sun was beginning to rise from the depths of the long night and the first break of sunlight was already starting to creep through the ripped curtains. You made your way back to your room where your little brother Luca was still fast asleep. Sitting down on the edge of his bed you peered over his sleeping form. You noticed his face was scrunched up into an expression of discomfort while he tossed and turned. His fingers were balled into fists as they gripped tightly at the blanket. Little groans and huffs of distress escaped from his lips.

"M-Mama." Luca suddenly groaned, causing your eyes to enlarge and for a split second you felt as though a crack had formed in your heart. "P-Papa." he continued to toss around.

Your brows furrowed as you sensed something was not right. Reaching your hand out, you placed your palm on top of his forehead. Instantly you felt the heat radiating from his blood and the claminess of his skin. It was then did you notice that his face was as red as a beet. He was definitely having a fever. Looks like your plans of taking Luca out of the house had gone down the drain, just like every other time you tried.

"Luca." you whispered and gently started shaking him to wake him up. "Luca wake up."

At the call of his name Luca began to stir and slowly he opened his eyes. "[Name]?" he wearily tried to sit himself up, but the heat coursing through his veins prevented him from doing so. "I-I feel so hot." he said timidly.

"You have a fever Luca." you said and handed him the pills and the glass of water which was always kept on the make-shift nightstand. "Here."

Luca took the pills from your hands and washed them down with his glass of water. "We're still going out today right?" he asked.