II

Still deaf to our cries, lost in hope we lie defeated
Our souls have been torn, and our bodies forsaken
Bearing sins of the past, for our future is taken

"Good work today [Name]!"

You turned around to see your boss handing your a white envelope. "Here's your pay for the day." he said, a bright smile spread across his aged face.

"Thank you Albus." you said, taking the envelope from his hands.

"Oh and take some of the leftover bread too." Albus held out a plastic bag with two loaves of bread towards you. "It's not much, but it's the least I can do for you.'

"Oh, you've already done so much for me Albus." you thanked him. "I must repay you somehow."

Albus laughed and shook it off with the wave of his hands. "Having you here at my shop is more than enough [Name]. You're one of the best worker I have."

You smiled at the old man's generosity. You remembered the day you applied for work here at the shop. It wasn't long after the war with Nifilheim ended. Your life had fallen apart right in front of your eyes, you had lost everything. You were desperate and you needed money fast, not only to support yourself but also your sick little brother. You remembered spending weeks or maybe even months applying for jobs wherever possible. But very little places accepted your applications, nor even bothered to give you a decent reply. Just as you were about to lose hope, you stumbled upon this small shop. Without a proper application or interview, Albus accepted you right away. You've been working here ever since, and you loved it every bit. It was a small shop, with only you and a couple of other workers.

"And take this too dear."

You turned around to see Albus' wife Felicia standing behind you with a bag filled to the brim with fruits and vegetables.

"Oh no, this is too much for me." you cried.

"Just take it [Name]. It's only going to get thrown out sooner or later." Felicity chuckled.

"You're all too kind. But thank you." you gladly accepted their offerings.

"How's your little brother doing [Name]?" Felicia asked, her features were etched with evident worry. "Is he feeling any better?"

You nibbled on your lip. "He's doing better." you replied. I hope your conscious added

But despite your answer the inside of your chest began to hurt at the thought. Your little brother was very sick. Ever since he was born, he was very weak. But after the war ended his condition progressively worsened. And with very little money, it was impossible for you to give him the medical attention he needed. It shattered your heart to see your little brother so vulnerable and in so much pain. It killed you on the inside to know that there wasn't much you could do to help him. With your parents dead, he was the only family you had left. You couldn't bear to even think about losing him as well. He was your last beacon of hope, you you would do anything to save him for his everlasting torment. He was still so young, he didn't deserve to go through this.

"Poor thing." Felicia lamented. "I wish we could help you [Name]."

"Don't worry Felicia ." you placed a reassuring hand on the old woman's shoulder. "We'll be fine. I'm sure with all this produce you're giving us, he'll be running around in no time."

"That's right!" Albus let out a loud cheery laugh, "Our produce is the best in all of Lucis with all the vitamins and nutrients you need to cure any disease."