VII

Sometimes
all you can do is lie in bed
and hope to fall asleep
before you fall apart

Just like Ignis said, it wasn't long before you found yourself approaching the palace gates. A feeling of dread overcame you as you watched the palace approach closer and closer, casting a great shadow over the car as it loomed over you, dark and unwelcoming just as you left it. Surrounding the palace, you noticed the amount of protesters had increased since your last visit. Their yells were loud and clear, and could be heard from the next street. However no matter how loud they shouted, their pleads always fell on deaf ears, as if the high walls of this grand building were acting like sound proof barriers, blocking the reality of the kingdom from entering their most trusted king's ears.

As the car drove up the the gates, the guards who stood by their posts immediately straightened their already perfect posture and sharply slice through the air with arm to salute.

"Welcome back Sir Scientia." one of the guards greeted as he walked up to the car window.

Peering out the window, you immediately recognised them as the same guards who assaulted you during your first visit. Your lips instantly fell to a fixed frown as you stared grimly at them, silently hoping that they'll look your way, and remember your penetrating stare. But alas, they didn't. Anyone who lived in the slums probably all looked the same to them anyway, so why did you think you were any different?

The gates--to which you depicted as the gates of hell--opened with the same loud grinding noise of the the mechanics churning together, much like growing dread inside you. When the gates were fully open, the driver gave the guards a nod of thanks to which the guards replied with a salute, and slowly drove through into the centre of the Citadel, following the circular road before parking at the front of the palace stairs, covered with it's lavish rich red carpet. As soon as the car stopped, Ignis got out of, which was your message to get out too. You picked grabbed your bag which you placed on the floor of the car, and reached your other hand out to take hold of the handle for the door. However, just as you were about the pull down, the door was opened by Ignis.

"We're here, Miss [Surname]." he said, and held his hand out for you to take.

Stunned by his uncalled gesture, you stared at his gloved hand for a few short seconds with a sense of uncertainty. You took a brief glance up at Ignis who stood in wait for you to take his hand. Hesitantly, you reached your hand out towards his. However just before your fingers could brush, you pulled your hand back to your side.

"I'm fine." you said with a blunt tone, and got yourself out of the vehicle fine, without the need for Ignis' help.

Ignis inwardly sighed, closing the car door behind him. As you wish Miss [Surname]. He responded in his head. But he had to respect your response, regardless if it bothered him or not.

. . .

The two of you walked through the palace hallway in complete silence. Each step you took with your flat shoes on the smooth and glossy marble floor sounded like loud pounds, as the walls carried the echos through the empty corridor. Though you had already been inside the palace once, your particular reason for coming at that time didn't allow you to get the full taste of what the place really looked like inside. The walls and archways of the hall which you were walking down were tall and thick and imposing, with their exquisitely engraved pillars, painted in the colours of black and grey and gold. Glancing up, you could also see the windows which lined the ceiling, allowing the hallway to illuminate with the natural lights of the sun--like a glow from the heavens. However, despite this illumination, the halls were still rather dark. You couldn't help but feel a sense of gloom, as if there was no room for laughter and smiles in this monochrome walkway. It made it as if you were walking down the aisle to your dreaded doom.