IV

There is nothing either
good or bad
But thinking makes it so

"Your Majesty." Your voice which greeted the king sounded firm and strong,

Noctis didn't respond and instead continued to observe you. From the sight of you standing before him a surge of unknown caution washed over him, as if you were a threat of some sort. Your eyes held their focus..There was no softness in that gaze. It was a look that conveyed determination and overwhelming ambition. He took note of your average appearance, giving away the fact that you were of ordinary standing.

You held you gaze at Noctis. This was the king standing in front of you; the man turning the gears of the kingdom. The one who had your whole life on the palm of his hand. Unlike the guards who you dealt with earlier, you definitely felt powerless under his presence as he stood tall before you at the top of the stairs which led to his throne. The light shining through the large windows behind him gave him the silhouette of a god. His eyes that stared down upon were filled with authority and power. Yet they were so bleak and lifeless, like a part of him was slipping away.

Heavy and thick silence hung between the two of you like dense fog in the room, as you continued to stare at each other with the gaze of strangers, that aloof judgement with no strings. The atmosphere was unsettling producing a vague tremor to slither down your spine.

"I want to speak to you about something, your majesty." You spoke first, shattering the silence "I want to address the problem that's occurring in the more run down area of the city. The slums as some people are more familiar to it being known as." You began. "The situation is worsening your majesty, Everyday more and more people are becoming homeless, left shivering in the cold with only the warmth of their thin clothes. Some people don't even have jobs to feed themselves, let alone pay these taxes you are dumping upon us." Your thoughts returned to the mother and child whom you saw on your way home a few nights before. You could hear the high pitched cries from the child she held tightly, echoing in your ears. "We have children suffering because of this." You instantly thought of Luca. "We desperately need your help your majesty. We need change.'

You again waited for the king's response. This time he opened his mouth, but what came out wasn't what you were expecting.

"You will kneel before your king before you speak."

That took you by surprise. The way he spoke was so straightforward, with no sense of emotion. His facial expression didn't falter one bit as he continued to bore his dark eyes into you. Did your words mean nothing to the king? After everything you just said, all he cared about was you kneeling before him? Your fists clenched. "But your majesty--"

"You will kneel before your king!" This time Noctis' voice grew louder, his dark gaze turned menacing.

Your eyes narrowed, rigid, cold, hard. Fidelis was right, there was no way he was going to listen to a filthy commoner like you. But two could play the game."I refuse."

Noctis was stunned by the straight forwardness of your response. His eyes narrowed into a icy glare. "What did you say?" he hissed, his voice turning grave.

Your fists curled, and the anger radiated through you skin. "I refuse to bow to an excuse of a king!" you spat bitterly.

"How dare you defy me, you peasant!" Noctis snarled. looking down at you as if you were just another commoner begging him for pity.

But you weren't. Instead of lowering your head you lifted it, a stony glare carved into you dark eyes. Fury blurred your sight but you tightened your jaw and glared at him."How dare you defy your people!" You retaliated. "There are people dying out there while you're are sitting on your stupid throne and treating us as the carpet which you step all over!" Your loud, booming voice seemingly shook the room. The burning rage hissed through your body like deathly poison. "You make a fool out of the royal name in which you bare!"