Chapter 7

I cursed silently at the sudden unexpected jolt that pierced through my backside as the stranger roughly dropped me to the ground. The surface was rough, making the force of the impact even more painful.

Warily, I remained in my position on the earth, waiting for the inevitable to happen. But when I heard the thumping of footsteps leading away from where I laid, I sighed, raised my head off the dirt on the ground and placed my palms on its surface.

Grunting, I forced my body into a sitting position in the darkness of the cave he'd left me in and shifted my body backwards until I felt a solid wall collide gently with my back. Cautiously, I blew out a shaky breath and shivered slightly at the coolness of the cave's interior before wrapping my arms around my frame. The fact that I also couldn't see a thing added to my misery.

Also, it would've been a positive sign if I was able to see the moonlight shining through the entrance of the cave. Yet seeing as I could not, it did not only mean that he'd brought me deep into the mouth of the cave, but he'd also made sure that I wouldn't be able to escape that easily since the whole area was pitch black.

I wasn't scared of the dark - it would be senseless for me to be since I lived in a cabin with virtually no electricity and only candles as the main light source - but I knew that wandering around in such darkness would not in any way increase my chances of escape.

I sighed and shivered again. The cold was gradually eating at my skin and there was little I could do to keep myself warm. I had no idea where the stranger had suddenly vanished to, but if his abrupt leave was in order to go get firewood and prepare a fire - which I truly hoped it was - then I'd just keep my complaints about the cave's obvious hostility to myself. And though I highly doubted he'd present me with such hospitality, it was worth the reassurance.

So it being my only comfort - that I wouldn't freeze to death before he arrived and hopefully after he did, I closed my eyes and waited in the silence, permitting my wounds to slowly heal.

☆~☆~☆

My eyes immediately snapped open the second I heard the unmistakable rapid thumping of feet echoing throughout the cave.

My defence instincts instantly kicked in and I jumped to my feet, grateful that the aching in my body had dulled as I readied myself for an attack, despite the fact that I still couldn't see a thing. Still, I sniffed the air, trying to figure out what creature was making its way towards me and paused when I caught a wolf scent. A strong one, yet strangely sweet. One that I was sure I'd smelt before.

However, before I could recall the owner of such, the thumping noise came to an abrupt halt and was followed by a sudden thundering of what I assumed to be heavy wood falling on the cave's floor, which caught me by surprise and made me freeze in my stance.

Is that...firewood? I thought, my hopes rising. Lord, please let it be.

"Stranger?" I called out before taking an unnecessary step forward. It was pitch black, so having assumed that it was the same stranger that had brought me in was a huge risk. But what else was I supposed to do? And besides, would any other random person or werewolf come to this exact same spot where he had left me a few minutes or hours ago?

"Hello?" I called out again when I heard shuffling and then the striking together of...what? Stones? "What are you doing?"

No response. Great.

I took another step forward in the dark and opened my mouth to inquire what the hell was happening when out of the blue a portion of my vision was invaded by a spark of light. I gasped the second I saw fire suddenly blaze from where that tiny spark had been lit and without a second thought hurried towards it.