Chapter 20

I took more steps closer until I was boldly standing in front of him. "Now, give me that moonstone."

A dry chuckle escaped John's throat. "You think I'm going to just give it to you?" he questioned dubiously, accompanying it with another humourless laugh. "Just like that?"

Before I could reply, a deep familiar feminine voice answered instead. "No. You will be giving it to me."

Just then, before any of us could react, a black blur swept in between John and I so fast that I jumped back at the sudden motion. But then my eyes widened and a horrified gasp unintentionally escaped my throat when it thrust itself right into the chest of the man I once called father.

The black blur - that I now noticed was a thick hand - buried itself further in his chest, and I watched, unable to move, as blood began to splatter out of the wound the shadow-hand had created.

John gasped and fell to his knees. His whole body trembled as he choked and coughed out blood.

"Well, if it is not my favourite werewolf." Reina's dark aura immediately swept throughout my whole being and I nearly shivered at the deadly feel of it. Spinning around, I watched her materialize from the shadows and gracefully approach in her usual form.

"R-Reina." John gasped out her name, prompting more darkish red blood to spill down his chin and onto his clothes. "Y-You w-whore."

The Night Witch chuckled and licked her lips, smirking down at the bloodied figure struggling for breath. "Nice to see you too, dog," she greeted with a sly grin. "But unfortunately, I have to kill you now because you are of no use to me anymore, and would be a hindrance to my plans."

Swiftly, she raised her left hand and made a fierce ripping motion with it. "See you in the afterlife, darling."

Almost immediately, the hand still embedded in his chest squeezed in further until a sickening squishy noise echoed right before it effortlessly tore his heart out.

My own heart thudded wildly within my ribcage as I watched his eyes cloud over and his body fall limp to the ground after he breathed his final breath.

Dead.

The man who'd made I and my mother's life a living hell laid lifeless on the ground. Automatically, I waited to feel something, anything that would give me a semblance of satisfaction over his death. But I felt nothing.

No joy. No peace. No feeling of superiority. Just emptiness.

And that fact made me even angrier.

Not bothering to think logically, I turned to glare heatedly at the witch who'd just murdered the person I was meant to kill.

This was the second time that night that she had come without me sensing her beforehand. I'd initially assumed it was because I had been deeply engrossed in the mind-blowing intercourse I indirectly had with Albus. But then I simply concluded that she had a knack for sneaking up on people when I saw her shadow-encased form positioned gloriously by the tree my mother's corpse was hanging from.

What the hell is she even doing here?

"Well? What are you waiting for then?" Reina motioned to the dead werewolf on the forest floor. "Take the moonstone and hand it over to me."

I was about to do just that, minus the handing over, and destroy it before her eyes. However, Kane held my hand when I attempted to retrieve it from John's and simply glared at Reina.