Chapter 15

My lips thinned once more. "You will never have me."

"I will," Kane opposed, sounding so damn confident. "In fact, I would not have to do anything. You will come crawling to me yourself tonight, begging me to take you."

I narrowed my eyes in an attempt to mask the uncertainty slowly creeping up my spine. "And you're so sure about that?"

His jaw clenched. "I am," he replied, then pointed to the wall behind him. "You will even go out of your way and literally break through this wall if I would be standing behind it, just to be by my side."

"That's a load of trash," I remarked, letting him know that he - as well as his assumptions - were insane. "I'm not strong enough to do that-"

"It would be your wolf that would be in control. And from what I see, it seems like you do not know her very well. She would be stronger than you, quicker, and much more willing." His lips curved to form a faint sinister smile. "I cannot wait to meet her."

My heart skipped a beat.

"You're sick," I spat, struggling to keep myself from fully lashing out at him. "You're the one who doesn't know me. I don't know who you think you are but there is no way that I'd ever let you have any part of me. My wolf is not that shallow and for the thousandth time; you're not my mate."

"To get a mate or to mate, she-wolves would do anything. And it appears yours is no different." Kane turned away from me and began to walk along the corridor, towards the other end. "If you do not believe me then it is up to the blood moon to convince you of that."

"I'll be waiting then." I lifted my chin defiantly behind his back, silently hoping that he didn't hear the slight tremor in my voice. "And then when nothing happens, that'll prove to you that you've got all this messed up in your head."

Not answering straight away, Kane just stopped beside a door opposite the one I'd come out of earlier. Turning to face me, he pressed his right palm against the surface of the wood.

"Willing to let the blood moon prove me wrong? Then you might want to take precautions first if that is your wish, whether you like it or not." Subsequently, he pushed it opened and I winced a little when it creaked loudly.

One thing I noticed was that the door had not been shut. There was no lock, no bolt, no nothing. And I expected at least some sort of restrictions.

"This is your idea of precaution?" I asked in a dubious and rhetorical manner. "Because it seems like you were able to open that door without a single effort and that is not the kind of proper containment I had in mind."

"This door is made of wood and has not apparently been attended to for a long time, she-wolf. Though made of the same material as this cabin, it is nowhere as strong and standing," Kane said, casting his eyes on mine before wordlessly prompting me to step forward. "Besides the fact that no one has been here for years, having a lock on this door would not make a difference as you could easily break through it even right now in your feeble state. It is simple logic."

Of course. "But it still helps to be extra secure," I retorted, gradually making my way towards where he stood.

Ignoring Kane's grunt of disapproval, I moved closer and turned directly to my left in order to eye inside the room. However, what I saw made me wish I had just remained where I was.

"What the hell is this?" I asked breathlessly and in shock as I scanned the room's content. This...This is not what I expected.

The only source of air in the room was through the window that faced me, though it was kind of the same height as the one in the opposite room. And although it had wooden boards nailed vertically along its length with intervals of approximately an inch, that was the only pleasant sight to behold. The others were simply horrific.