Chapter 12

The second I became consciously aware of the soft material beneath my palm, reality struck me like a bomb and I sprung up from my laying position, rapidly blinking my eyes open.

It took me some effort, but once I was able to get rid of the haziness in my vision, I warily scanned my surroundings.

I knew I wasn't in my room; at least it had objects available aside from my bed. This supposed bedroom had virtually nothing. The only window in the room was perched high on the wall behind me and was conveniently blocked horizontally with wooden planks, allowing only a few streams of sunlight to puncture through the little cracks.

This is definitely not my room.

Dismissing the fact that I was obviously barefoot, I swung my legs off the surprisingly soft bed and rose to my feet. The wooden floorboards felt cold and dusty under them but nevertheless, I proceeded to walk across it and towards the room door, hoping with all my heart that it wasn't locked.

I held the badly-looking doorknob and slowly twisted, my chest heaving in trepidation.

Click.

A relieved sigh made its way out of my mouth as I widened the door and stepped across the doorway. I didn't bother closing it behind me as I made my way cautiously along the corridor, eyeing the walls around me at the same time my ears were alert.

I also didn't bother sniffing the place in case of any incoming danger because the atmosphere damn near smelt like him.

It was like he was literally everywhere.

Slowly but surely, I stepped towards what appeared to be the back door which was positioned right at the end of the corridor. It seemingly beckoned to me to approach it in order to offer me freedom, but with that monster's scent still lingering strongly in the air, I didn't for a second fool myself into believing that my escape was going to be that easy.

But it won't be wrong and reckless to actually find out if maybe it would-

"Do not bother," a deep voice abruptly cut me off just as I was about to test my conscience on that fact with a right hand poised just above the doorknob. "It is a lost cause."

I took in a deep breath, calming the unsteady beating of my heart at the sound of his rough and unexpected bass voice. How the hell did I not hear him behind me?

"Why bother telling me then?" I questioned, hand still over the wooden knob. "You could've had fun watching me struggle."

Silence was my only response for a minute until he replied gruffly, "I am not Albus."

I would've found that hilariously funny if I wasn't worried about living at the moment.

"What are you talking about?" I asked, confused. His scent was all over the place, a scent that I could not easily mistake for someone or something else, so why was he saying something as insane as that?

Cautiously, I stepped away from the door and turned slowly to face him. But I wasn't prepared for the sight before me.

Albus looked...different. His intense grey eyes shone even brighter than ever in the sunlight and his facial features, which hadn't been distinct in the dark, were now defined so beautifully that I slightly doubted if that was the same demon who'd almost murdered me.

"I am not Albus," he repeated again, emphasizing on the 'not' as if that would prove that his statement actually made any sense.

"Albus prefers a worthless chase from a weak and helpless opponent." He crossed his arms over his chest. "I do not."