Chapter 33

Nandini searched the crowds for any familiar face on her way to the small dispensary that stored medicines and a first aid kit for emergencies. But while she was friendly with many of the students and knew they would have promptly helped her, she was also aware that most of them would hesitate to help take Rishabh to the hospital. They might if she insisted on it, but she didn't want help that wasn't given wholeheartedly. 

Outside the medicine room, a few girls were standing and whispering, looking curiously excited. To her relief, the dispensary's doors were already open, so the old uncle who was in charge of medicines would be inside. She would ask him for help, and then decide how to go to the hospital. 

"You've been so helpful, Prithvi," 

Nandini stopped dead on hearing the familiar name spoken by a throaty female voice that came out of the dispensary. Then she slowly walked to the doorway and stared in shock at the two people inside. 

Tisha was standing near the empty counter in the mid-sized room, her right hand wrapped tightly around Prithvi's arm. She looked up at him with a honeyed sweet smile, and leaned even more heavily against him. "You'll help me get to my class, wont you?" 

"Your friends have been  outside the door for a while now. I'm sure they wouldn't mind helping you," Prithvi said with marked indifference, and smoothly extricated himself from her grasp. He turned around to leave, saw Nandini and halted abruptly. 

Tisha also turned and beamed at her. "Hi Nandini!" 

"Hi Tisha," Nandini smiled, not looking at Prithvi. 

"Twisted my ankle slightly and Prithvi helped me get to this place for some pain-reliving spray," Tisha explained breathlessly. "But what brings you here?" 

Just then an old man came out of the attached storage to the left side of the room, and saw one of his young friends waiting near the door. 

"Nandini! Why are you waiting outside? Come in," he called out cheerfully. 

"Good morning, uncle. I need some medicine for fever," she said, walking over to the counter. The man nodded and reached for a box on his right and began foraging through it. 

"You have fever?" Prithvi asked suddenly, instantly striding towards her, leaving Tisha to look at Nandini with curious eyes. 

"No. It's for Rishabh," she answered rigidly. 

"Oh….Where is he?" 

"On the ground outside the college," she said coolly, taking the tablets from the counter.

She was enquiring about the dosage when Tisha came towards them with a small limp and asked, "Is errr- Rishabh's condition really bad, Nandini." 

"The temperature seems quite high. I was thinking of taking him to the hospital for a check up," she replied politely, turning to the inordinately concerned-looking girl. 

"And how do you plan to do that?" Prithvi enquired with raised brows. 

Nandini started to rejoin hotly that it was none of his concern how she managed to take Rishabh, when Tisha regretfully sighed, "I would have lent you my car, but it's gone for servicing. I could ask one of my friends though….Daya, Jyoti, Jaideep, Suvek -" 

"That won't be necessary," Prithvi cut across sharply. "I'll arrange for a car to take Rishabh." 

"Don't go to all that trouble. I'm sure someone among Tisha's friends will help me" Nandini said sweetly, the fiery spark in her eyes plainly showcasing whom she intended to ask. 

"They don't need to," he replied flatly in a tone that warned her against further arguments. 

Realizing that Tisha was assessing Prithvi and herself with rather shrewd eyes, Nandini stifled the umpteen retorts that had jumped to her lips and nodded stiltedly. 

********************************** 

Nandini fidgeted anxiously on the narrow bench and once again looked hopefully at the curve of the staircase in the middle of the hospital corridor and then at the clock. Rishabh was sleeping and Shiv, his classmate, had gone to have tea in the cafeteria. Prithvi had disappeared with the doctor many hours ago and she had been waiting for his return. 

Not because she was concerned…..why would she be….she didn't care what was holding him up for so long. For all she knew, he must be helping out some other damsel in distress, she thought sourly. After waiting for an hour and a half, Rishabh had forced her to eat something in the canteen. But she had not been able to eat anymore more substantial than a sandwich. The emotional strain she had been enduring for the past two days and this new stress about Rishabh seemed to have almost eradicated any wish for food. 

Shiv had stumbled upon them while they waited on the campus road for Prithvi to come with the car. He had immediately offered to accompany them to the hospital and stay back at night with Rishabh if necessary. They had only had to wait for a little while, and Prithvi had arrived soon in a chauffer-driven swish car. When she had enquired about the owner he had coolly informed her that it belonged to the principal, and he would send it back once they reached the hospital. She had been shocked but had remained quiet about her reservations due to the presence of the other two boys, both of whom had been very impressed. 

They had arrived at the town hospital some time ago, and within minutes, the receptionist had been spoken to, a room had been secured and they were being escorted by a ward boy. And during all this, Nandini and Shiv had only just stood by Rishabh's side. All three had been dumbstruck at the speed at which everything had happened; though in hindsight it shouldn't have been surprising to her at least considering Prithvi was involved.  

He had taken take care of everything, even the deposit amount, and the hospital staff had been attending to all his stated requirements eagerly, apparently convinced by his cool and forceful attitude that he was the son or relative of some influential political or business personage. When Prithvi was around, events always happened at breakneck speed, and all things seemed to just fall into place by themselves, she mulled in resentful admiration. And when she had been watching him deal with people from afar, she had yet again been miserably struck by his affluent and strikingly sophisticated personality. 

The doctor had diagnosed Rishabh with viral infection after a cursory checkup. Nevertheless, he had prescribed some routine blood tests to eradicate other possibilities, and the results would come by evening. If things were ok, Rishabh would have to stay in the hospital for around 2 days until the fever and weakness disappeared. Nandini had called up her mother and informed her about everything. She had not wanted to disturb Nishi and Vrinda's classes when the finals were drawing close and so had waited until afternoon. She had tried calling them after lunch but had not gotten through to their phones for some reason, and decided to try later. 

The time in the hospital had passed slowly  with no one to converse with freely. Since the scene in the dispensary in the morning, she hadn't spoken with Prithvi at all unless necessary.  However, to her indignation, he had not seemed to even register the fact. He might even be thanking his stars that she had finally stopped boring him with her chatter. Though that did not give him the right to depart without telling her a word about how long he would take. 

"Nandini," 

Nandini turned to her left in surprise and saw a nurse in a white starched uniform standing with an envelope and a piece of paper in her hand. 

"Yes, sister?," she said, rising to her feet. 

"You don't have to look so worried," the woman said with a reassuring smile. "The blood reports have come. Everything is clear, and the doctor will be here in some time for another check up. Most probably your friend will be able to go home within 2 days."

"Oh Thank God….and thank you," she said earnestly. 

"You're welcome, and here, these medicines have to be purchased," she said, holding out the solitary sheet.

Nandini reached out for it, but a hand cut across her and took it from the nurse's hands. "I'll get them right away," Prithvi told the nurse, who nodded and left to attend to another patient. 

"Where were you for so long?" Nandini asked crossly, trying to keep up with his long strides as they walked towards Rishabh's room. 

"Had some work to finish in the town," he returned brusquely, and she suddenly noticed that he had a bag in one hand. 

"Did you have lunch?" she asked hesitantly. 

"Yeah, I did." 

"Why didn't you tell me before you left. Do you know how long I've been waiting for you?" she complained. 

He looked at her with amusement. "I'm touched by the confession," he said mockingly. 

Blushing with mortification, Nandini turned her face away and snapped, "I didn't mean it like that. And I couldn't care less where you go and what you do." 

He paused with his hand on the knob, and his silent gaze made her feel strangely guilty. Then he wordlessly pushed the door open and walked in, and Nandini hurried in his wake. 

Rishabh was lying awake and he greeted them cheerfully. 

Nandini smiled as she opened the envelope and went through the reports. "Everything's fine, Rishabh. You'll be able to leave the hospital in a couple of days." 

"I knew there wasn't anything wrong with me. You always worry without reason," Rishabh said faintly. 

"But that's her USP. If you take that away, she'll be left with only being irritating and nosy," Prithvi muttered, keeping the bag on the small table next to the bed. 

"Well I'm  I'm not as perfect as you are," Nandini retorted, glaring at him and then at Rishabh who was laughing. 

"You're forgiven," he said ironically, and turned to Rishabh. "There are some fruits in the bag. I'll go and get these medicines." 

"Thanks for the fruits, Prithvi, and you don't have to buy the medicines," Rishabh said quickly.  "You've already done so much. I'll – I'll go and get the medicines myself…or- or Shiv will go." 

"We'll settle the accounts later. Rest for now." 

Nandini had watched the exchange mutely, unsure about what to say. She knew Rishabh hardly had any money with him, and her purse also held an insignificant amount. Shiv was already doing them a favour by staying with Rishabh, and it would be unfair to expect more. And yet, this relatively large room and the medicines and treatment would cost quite a bit, and the person paying for it barely knew Rishabh. 

Telling Rishabh that she would be right back, she hastened out of the door after Prithvi, and caught up with him just near the stairway. 

"Prithvi….," 

He stopped and turned around questioningly. 

"How much will the hospitalisation cost? And how much deposit did you have to pay?" 

"It has been taken care of," 

"You hardly even know Rishabh…. It's not right that you pay for anything, let alone everything," she mumbled. 

"This isn't the time or place to talk about this, so drop it," he countered tersely, and strode away before she could get in another word. 

 "Are you Nandini? The one related to the sick boy who came in today?" 

Nandini spun around to see a ward boy, and nodded. 

"There is a call for you at the desk," he said. 

Nandini thanked him and hurried to the desk at the end of the corridor, and picked up the receiver lying by the side of the phone. 

The instant she spoke, her mother's urgent appeal came down the line. "Nandini, come back home immediately." 

"Ma, what's wrong? Is everything ok at home?" she asked fearfully. 

"There is some trouble going on in the town. Prakash heard it from someone on the playground and came running to tell me. There was another accident just outside Shamli. A bus tumbled off the bridge and fell into the river."

"Oh no! Why does this keep happening?" she exclaimed in dismay. "Is everyone on the bus - " 

"The channels are only saying that at least 5-6 people have died. I called up Sharma aunty and she said some political parties have gone on the rampage and they are holding demonstrations across Shamli. They've called for an indefinite transport strike. Buses and rickshaws have stopped plying on the roads and even private vehicles are being stopped. No one knows how long it will last. If you leave now, you'll be able to reach before nightfall. But how will you come? Even your grandfather isn't here. Are Nishi or Vrinda there in the hospital?' Sarojini asked, sounding extremely frightened. 

"No, they don't know about Rishabh," Nandini said uneasily. "Only Prithvi is here -" 

"Prithvi is with you?" Sarojini exclaimed in unconcealed relief. "Thank God. Both of you come home without delay." 

"Don't worry, ma. I'll be home soon," Nandini assured her. After talking to her mother for some more minutes about Rishabh's illness, she kept the phone and turned around to see Prithvi striding towards her. 

"Prithvi, ma had called," Nandini said urgently, the emergency driving out all the deliberate stiffness that she had maintained in their interactions all day out of her mind. "She said there's some problem happening -" 

"I know….heard some people talking about it when I was outside," he revealed. "Baba had also called me up." 

"Is the situation really bad?" she asked agitatedly. 

 "There were minor disturbances going on some time ago, but not any more. Though the roads are still empty." 

"Ma wants us to come home right away," 

"You're not going anywhere," he informed bluntly. "It could be dangerous outside right now. You'll stay here while I go outside and see what can be done for some transport."

"I'm not staying back here while you go out alone. If it's unsafe for me to be on the roads, it could also be dangerous for you," Nandini said angrily. 

"I won't face any problem, and if I do, I can take care of it," Prithvi snapped in return. 

"If you are so confident, why can't you take care of me too?" Nandini demanded impetuously, before realising that the words were far more significant than originally intended. 

"I can take care of you, if you'll let me," he answered quietly, gazing at her flushed face. Nandini turned her disconcerted face away, unable to respond. 

After an endless gap, Prithvi curtly said, "Alright, we'll leave together. But if we don't get any conveyance, you'll have to walk for an hour," he warned. 

"I can walk that long without any problem. You don't have to worry," she returned stubbornly. "But Rishabh…." 

"The doctor has said he's already improving, and there's no need for concern. Anyway, I've told him about the situation….and he wanted to talk to you right away."

"I'll just meet Rishabh and see you at the hospital's entrance in 5 minutes,"

He nodded and Nandini quickly hurried to the room. She said a hurried bye to Rishabh, who urged her to leave at once, and after asking him to call in case of any emergency, she made her way to the doorway of the hospital where Prithvi was waiting. 

****************************************** 

The skies were already coloured with orange and crimson shades and Nandini felt a twinge of nervousness at the knowledge that this was the first time she was so far away from home at this time of the evening. Darkness was a very short while away and soon the roads would only be lit by street lamps and moonlight. If only her grandfather had been here. He would have definitely come to the hospital and she could have returned with him. Now she would have to walk at this uncertain hour with someone she had consciously been keeping a distance from all day.

After having spoken to him after her mother's call, she hadn't said another word and neither had Prithvi.  Leaving the hospital, they began making their way through the populated road that led to the main highway. Nandini walked a little behind him, with her head lowered and eyes fixed on the ground, clutching the bag tightly to her side. 

She was finding it difficult to keep up with his long strides and wanted to ask him to slow down a bit, but was disinclined to be the one to break the silence. Why was it that every time she had to make the first reconciliatory gesture, she thought resentfully. 

"Could you slow down a little?" she asked at last. 

Prithvi turned to with an utterly derisive expression. "It would be far more beneficial if you try and walk a little faster, unless you don't mind reaching home tomorrow evening," he said sarcastically. 

"I'm walking as fast as I can," she snapped. 

"That's hard to believe. I think a snail just bypassed us a minute ago," he rejoined irritably. 

Before she could reply, they rounded a corner on the small road, and a huge crowd, mostly comprising rough-looking men, came into sight. In the dimming light, it was difficult to say if they were part of some political agitation or just labourers returning to their homes in a group. Behind Nandini, there were quite a number of people making their way out of the hospital, and there wasn't even enough room to back away to a side. Nandini stood immobile in the middle of the road, fighting a sudden surge of anxiety. 

A powerful arm swiftly closed around her and Prithvi pulled her strongly to his side. Astounded, Nandini looked up at him with perplexed eyes, but not meeting her gaze and holding her tightly in a partial hug, Prithvi continued to steer their way and escorted her smoothly through the throng, impervious to everyone and everything. Warmly ensconced against the reassuring strength of his form, Nandini continued to stare at him tenderly. She barely realized the way in which their path seemed to clear with astonishing ease, though some part of her did register the fact that not a single coarse comment or touch came her way. 

Then the crowd thinned considerably, and he instantly released her and moved away, leaving her with a curiously abandoned feeling. 

"We'll be on the main road in a few minutes. There shouldn't be any such problem after that," Prithvi muttered, slightly red in the face. 

Meaning he wouldn't have to hold her like that again, she interpreted. And that was a very good thing…..of course, it was…..it surely was the last thing she wanted with the unending confusion in her heart….. 

Once on the highway, things did look better. Scattered groups of office-going people were strolling by the sides of the road with resigned expressions on their faces. Some were even walking in the middle of the highway, assured of the fact that vehicles were not expected to ply today. 

A short while later, the sun set completely and bluish tints of twilight took over the town. There were fewer people on the road now. But a full moon shone bright in the darkening sky, beautifying the night and giving considerable relief to the tired people trudging to their houses. At any other time, Nandini would have dearly loved to stroll around the town on such a lovely night. But with her present state of mind and the antagonism-laced silence between Prithvi and herself, she wanted to reach home soon, which was still far away, she thought despondently. 

After 25 minutes of ambling on without a word, she was starting to feel the first strains of exhaustion. In running around for Rishabh, she hadn't had the time to think about herself. But now tiny aches were building near her calf and ankles, though she preferred to be swallowed up by the earth before admitting it, since Prithvi had already expressed his doubts about her ability to make it home on foot. She looked at him furtively and noted in wonder that he seemed as unruffled as he had in the morning. There wasn't a single line of fatigue on his spectacular features despite the fact that he had been on his feet almost throughout the day.

Abruptly, she realized that he had stopped and was looking in the direction of a graveled street that led away from the highway into the woods. Nandini also came to a halt and cautiously asked, "What's wrong?"

"This shortcut…..We could reach sooner if we take this route."

"Are you sure?" she asked nervously, peering into the darkness to see the road being nearly swallowed up by trees.

"Hmmm….I've used this road before. But the problem is - there won't be much light," he said, turning towards her with a slightly taunting smile.

"If there's no light, how will you know where we are going?" she asked in alarm.

"There is enough starlight for me to find the way," he replied impassively, "But if you don't trust me enough, we'll take the long way home," he added in a tone that seemed to equally mock and challenge her.

Nandini looked at him helplessly in the streetlight. He had shrewdly put her in a spot again, and she couldn't think of any way out. Now if she insisted on using the long but safe route, it would be very comfortable, but it would also amount to saying that she didn't trust him…..which was far from the truth. The problem was that she trusted him too much…..  

But if she agreed to travel with him on the small street through the deserted, forested area in almost no light…..her heart quailed at the thought. On the other hand, her family was waiting impatiently for her to return. She was certain that her mother would already be stationed at their gate, feeling a leap of hope every time someone moved in the distance.

Prithvi continued to regard her coolly, watching her agitation with undisturbed eyes.

"Okay, we'll take the shortcut," she sighed, and something relaxed in his visage. "It's just….I'm a little – I've never been outside at this hour," she confessed.

"Nothing and no one is going to hurt you as long as I'm around," Prithvi said grimly, and after a minute of indecision, she nodded in response.  But as they started treading on the path that was disappearing into the woods and the artificial lights from the road dimmed and then vanished, Nandini's fears increased. 

They were walking on a track that seemed to cut right through the woods, and every few seconds, rustling sounds were coming from either side of the road, making her jump with fright. There were no dangerous wild animals here, but what about the other smaller creatures that could bite and sting. Thankfully, the moon's silver light penetrated through the leaf-laden branches of the trees to form intricate patterns on the ground and give some relief in the dense darkness. 

That glow lit her companion who continued to walk a few steps ahead to make the densely green trail easy for her, pushing aside any thick undergrowth and vines that she might trip on. Feeling a helpless rush of affection, Nandini's mind replayed all that he had done for Rishabh and for her in the course of the day. And she had been so distant with him all day, not talking unless necessary……. 

All of a sudden, she felt ashamed at the way she had behaved with him. It wasn't Prithvi's fault that she had developed this stupid crush on him. Her behaviour had been unforgivable.  If she had to mend her relationship with him, she would have to break this frosty silence with some normal conversation 

"It's a full moon tonight. Looks beautiful, doesn't it?" she quipped nervously, looking at the enormous sphere in the sky through a gap in the foliage. 

"If you're trying to make conversation - don't," Prithvi said briefly. 

Acutely embarrassed that he had gauged her motive accurately as usual but unwilling to give up, she tried to think about something else they could talk about. 

"Prithvi, your bike…..it's still in college," she said hesitantly. 

"I'll get it tomorrow," 

"I hope it remains safe," she prayed, "Someone stole my cycle when I left it there overnight." 

"Someone stole that piece of junk? I thought you had finally got the sense to get rid of it," he said, crossing over a shallow ditch. 

Nandini quietly said, "It was not junk. It was the last thing my father gave me." 

"I….didn't know that," Prithvi said slowly, automatically holding out a hand to help her across the pit. "I'm sorry." 

"It's alright," she murmured and put her hand into his. 

She crossed safely, but his grasp around her hand did not slacken. 

"I'm not finding it all that enjoyable myself," he stated coolly, reading her mind. "But it would be best if I – just until we come into the clearing." 

Nandini began to protest, but then swallowed her words. She was finding his warm grasp around her palm very reassuring, and surely, it wouldn't be wrong to let him hold her hand just till they reached their locality…... 

She looked at him guardedly, and marveled at the realization that she felt more protected with him by her side on this dark and unknown road, than she would have in broad daylight with all her other friends. What would she have done if he hadn't come to her help today…. 

"Prithvi?" she said tentatively. 

"What?" 

"I'm really grateful for everything you did today. I'll never forget your help. And I'm very sorry," she said earnestly, "For everything….and for all the inconvenience I caused you." 

"Forget it," Prithvi shrugged indifferently, pushing aside a low hanging branch to make her progress easy. "I've resigned to the fact that it's my destiny to be troubled because of you," he said dryly. 

Unable to stop herself, Nandini chuckled. "But if you hadn't been there, I don't know what I would have done," she smiled as they continued on ahead 

"It was no big deal. I would have done it for anyone." 

Nandini stopped in the middle of her careful maneuvering through the plants and looked at his shadowed profile with an upsurge of unexpected bitterness. She was just 'anyone' to him. She didn't know that one word could wound like this. But she should have been used to it by now, seeing as he'd hurt her so many times before…He had easily shown her the place she held in his life. And here she was….with her foolish heart in her eyes every time he came in sight. 

"That's right. I had forgotten your large-heartedness this morning with Tisha," she said rigidly, wrenching her hand free from his grip. 

"She was standing in the middle of the road waving her hands. What was I supposed to do?" he demanded with irritation, stopping to face her. 

"That was very nice of you. And I'm glad to know that I'm the only one you don't have any problem ignoring," she added heatedly. 

"Ignoring you is essential for my sanity," he muttered, glancing away from her. 

Hot tears began to gather in Nandini's eyes and her throat. She had been fooling herself by believing she only had a crush. If it had just been a crush, it wouldn't be so excruciating to see him turn away. She loved him……loved him with a desperation that threatened to consume her whole. But at this minute she wholeheartedly wished she had never ever laid eyes on him. 

"Then you should have ignored me today too. I didn't ask for your help this morning," she burst out passionately, the loathing in the words startling Prithvi into looking at her again. "You're the one who interfered without reason. I didn't need any favour from you, and neither did Rishabh. But I've had enough…. you won't have to tolerate me any longer. Today is the last day our paths cross. I swear I won't -"   

"Shut up!" Prithvi exploded with a fierceness that made her retreat in fright, "What the hell has happened to you! What the bloody hell is going on since yesterday!" he snarled, the rage-filled timbre of his tone echoing in the hushed woodland. 

The moment of fear passed, and Nandini felt too infuriated to listen to the tiny cautious voice inside. "What's wrong…..everything is wrong with my life….since you walked into it," she denounced wildly. 

Even in the weak illumination, the shock on his fair face was clearly visible. But incensed beyond control, Nandini started to walk blindly into the frightening gloom ahead, only to find him swiftly block her way, pure aggression in every line of his frame. 

"Leave my way," she said brusquely. 

Prithvi didn't stir an inch, and his wintry assertion was enough to anchor her to the spot in disquiet. "You're not going anywhere till you tell me what you meant by that." 

 "I meant just what I said!" she erupted with uncharacteristic vehemence. "I haven't had a moment – one single moment – of peace after meeting you. I hadn't cried myself to sleep in years, but you made me do that. I've spent days and nights praying for you….for your safety and happiness, and all you've given me is misery," she condemned wretchedly, even as guilt overwhelmed her at the knowledge that she was being very unfair. He cared …she knew it….he had shown it in so many sweet ways. But oddly, in this moment, his casual concern seemed more hurtful than his indifference. 

"No other man must behave badly with me, no other man must look at me or touch me. But you can treat me as you like," she continued to deride inconsolably, unable to contain her emotions any longer. "You can say hurtful things, make me cry, touch me when you  it and push me away when it suits you. Everything in my life has become so…. why…why did you come here at all…." she said brokenly. 

"Believe me, if I had my way, I would never have set foot in this bloody little hole," Prithvi bit out viciously. 

Nandini felt a fresh burst of loathing course through her. 

"I've never hated anyone before, but you taught me how to do it…….You've taught me to hate…..and I hate myself…..and I hate you,' she whispered heartbreakingly. 

For the longest time, there was only a terrible silence between them, in which she stood staring at him defiantly, trying to veil the fact that her body was shaking. 

Then Prithvi moved forward until he was just a pace away, compelling her to look up at him. "Take that back," he said with deadly calm. 

 "Why should I?" she cried recklessly, "I mean it…..I hate you, and want you to get out of my life." 

All of a sudden, powerful fingers wound into the back of her half-open hair and gripped it tightly. She cried out in pain as he yanked her violently towards himself, forcing her to raise terrified and angry eyes to his ashen face. With outraged tears flooding her eyes, Nandini tried to free herself unsuccessfully, all her efforts almost going unnoticed in the ferocity of his temper. 

"Take that back," he repeated harshly. 

"Let me go, you're hurting me," she whimpered, and a tiny sound of relief escaped her as the excruciating hold on her hair loosened instantly. Breathing in short little gasps and trying to hold back tears, she watched nervously as Prithvi backed away from her, his face devoid of any emotions. 

Then he spoke, and it strangely seemed as though every word was costing him. "We've wasted enough time. Lets keep moving." 

He began walking away from her, the grey radiance lending a cold aura to his lithe outline.   

Nandini stood rooted to the spot, seized by dawning horror at the cutting words that had escaped carelessly. What had she done…..what insanity had caught hold of her to bring such words to her lips…how could she have said that she hated him, when the truth was almost pathetically the very reverse…. 

"Prithvi," she called out desperately. 

He paused but didn't turn around, and tonelessly asked, "Is there something more you want to add?" 

Propelled by a force stronger than her, Nandini walked up to him with slow and small steps, and kept an appealing hand on his left forearm. "I'm sorry – I didn't mean any of that," she pleaded. 

"Keep your pity for someone who needs it," Prithvi said stonily, still facing away. 

The inhospitable rigidity in his frame cautioned her to back away. But powerless against the forceful wave of love and guilt that swept over her, Nandini took yet another step. And ignoring all wisdom and propriety, she rested her forehead gently against his broad shoulder. 

"No, not pity. I'm truly sorry for every word I said. You can punish me anyway you like, but please don't be upset with me," she whispered, unaware of the immense shock on his visage. "I don't know why I….its just.…I - I don't want to feel all this." 

Prithvi closed his eyes briefly, the conflicting emotions flashing on his features screaming out the ravages of an internal battle. Then the black eyes snapped open, and something had hardened in their depths.  Sensing his withdrawal, Nandini closed her eyes disconsolately against his shoulder, convinced that she was not going to be forgiven. She raised her head, moved back a little and waited leadenly for him to walk on without a backward glance. 

Instead, he slowly turned towards her with eyes that were searing with frustration, and a flame of hope leapt in her heart. Bright moonlight was shining down on him, and in its luminosity, his brilliantly handsome face gave the impression of being carved from marble. 

As if in a dream, she watched him move closer, not knowing if he meant to forgive or punish. He reached out and gripped her arms and roughly hauled her yielding form against himself. Utterly disoriented by mingled feelings of devotion and anxiety, Nandini made no sound of protest, and found herself at the pitiful end of his gaze that seemed ablaze with a mysterious challenge, as his hands slid down her arms and encircled her waist. 

He expected her to demur, she realized, and intuitively knew that he would let her pull away at the first signs of struggle. But she met the cold aggression in his face with a serenity that surprised even her, and in place of remonstrating, she moved forward and rested her cheek against his chest, while her right hand lay next to his heart. 

Unmistakably stunned by the unforeseen and incredibly sweet move, Prithvi froze for an instant. Then she heard him curse under his breath, and his arms were tightening around her slender body. He pulled her nearer until she was completely cloaked in his fierce clasp, and rested the side of his face against her downy head. Nandini idly reflected that it should have felt wrong and unwise to stand enfolded like this in the arms of a man, so why did it feel so right….The close embrace should have seemed threatening in the isolated gloom, yet she felt more safe and protected than ever before….

"What makes you think I want to feel like this?" he murmured unevenly against her hair. 

As elation and relief exploded inside her, a trickle of water made its way down Nandini's cheek. The knowledge that he also felt something for her….if not love, at least something like it….soothed away all the ache in her heart in an instant. A wondrous warmth of heavenly contentment gushed through her veins, and she smiled joyfully through the tears. 

A little while later, hard fingers burrowed into her silky-smooth locks at her nape, and Prithvi gently tilted her head up, compelling her to look at him. As his thumb absently stroked the velvety skin of her cheek, he gazed into large, anguished eyes that were glistening with unshed tears….a moonlit image of extraordinary loveliness.

"What is this hell we're in?' he muttered.

 "I don't know," she admitted in despair, her features alight with love.

 He stared silently at the entrancing young beauty in his arms with astonishingly gentle eyes, as though trying to memorizing it…. as if seeking an answer. Nandini's heart began to slowly hammer in her chest with rising anxiety, with the softness in his gaze disconcerting her completely. 

Then his head bent a little and his lips brushed her creamy forehead. Squirming with shyness, she tried to twist her face away as an exquisite crimson slowly coloured her lovely, flawless features. But he simply smiled indolently and grazed his lips against the delightful softness of her pink cheek.

 With her hands hopelessly locked in-between them, she hid her scarlet face in his shoulder. But the clutch on her fragrant hair tightened and he relentlessly tugged her face up again, and gazing up into his mesmerizing eyes, she dimly registered the fact that the ability to think clearly had deserted her. Dazed with confusion, she grasped the intent in his black eyes only moments before his head bent closer, and her breath caught in her throat in alarm. But she did not try to free herself from the imprisoning grip around her waist and nape, and merely closed her eyes as disparate emotions of fear, guilt and tranquility clamoured in her heart.

She trembled at the feather-soft touch of his lips on hers, feeling a bolt of shock, and then tremendous relief, as he lifted his head after the very light kiss.

This time he mercifully released her hair and let Nandini bury her flaming features in his shoulder, while his hand slid protectively around her, keeping her close. With her forehead resting against his chest, she waited for her heart to stop pounding. As her whole being pulsated with an almost unearthly happiness, a little thought snuggled into her consciousness and brought a rueful smile to her soft lips. 

She had always been deemed realistic and sensible for her age. But in this instant in time, as she stood shrouded in the warmth of his arms in the starlit darkness, there was only one truth in her existence that shone with the brilliance of several suns. It was that every second in her past had been hurtling her towards this joyful moment in this silent heart of the forest. Every step had been propelling her into this embrace that was filling her with quiet bliss and incredible peacefulness. 

She had been living in a dreamlike trance until now....and then he had touched her….and she had come to life…..

************************************