Chapter 41

Nandini sat down next to her little brother who was struggling with a glass of milk. She quickly ate a few spoons of steaming upma and gulped down some water. Rising to her feet, she kept Prakash's empty plate atop her own and entered the kitchen.

Inside, at the little table, Bhoothnath was busily scribbling something on a notepad, while her mother stood by his side, looking down at the paper with an anxious expression.

"Why are you both so serious?" Nandini asked, while walking to the sink with the vessels.

Sarojini looked at her worriedly. "Yesterday when Aarti's uncle had come here, he told your grandfather that the boy's uncle met with an accident yesterday."

"At that time they weren't sure if it was a major thing and wanted me to keep the news to myself, so I didn't tell your mother or you. But they called again in the morning and said his condition is quite bad," her grandfather said sadly, forestalling Nandini's shocked question.

"How horrible for them!" she whispered, dismayed.

"For both the families. They boy's family have informed them that the wedding date may have to be postponed. Yesterday, Aarti's uncle wanted me to find out if there are more auspicious dates in the coming month just to be on the safe side. But now they are becoming increasingly sure that the marriage may not take place on the fixed date," Bhoothnath said apprehensively, pouring over his charts again.

"Let this news remain within our family," Sarojini said, "They don't want anyone to know about this for now. If the uncle shows at least some improvement by tomorrow, then no one will need to know about it…but if things get bad…."

Nandini nodded in understanding, being fully aware of the irrational and snide rumours that would spread through society at this news. Her spirits sank a little at the thought of the sudden gloom and tension that both the families would be experiencing.

"We'll tell Sumer Singh and Prithvi if the situation deteriorates and it is confirmed that the wedding is postponed," Bhoothnath said.

Astounded, Nandini looked at her grandfather. "Prithvi and Sumer uncle have been invited for the wedding?"

Sarojini smiled. "I was also very surprised because they've kept to themselves so far. But Aarti's mother told me that when those riots had broken out, Prithvi had helped her husband in the hospital."

"Prithvi helped - but I was there too and I didn't see uncle, and Prithvi didn't tell me anything about it," she said, mystified. Though he had disappeared for a few hours in between….was that when he….

Curbing a strong spurt of love and delight at that thought, Nandini quietly turned back to the sink, and smiled softly.

"She couldn't tell me more about it because she was very busy, and said she'll narrate the whole incident later. But their whole family is very grateful to him, and they are very keen that Prithvi should attend the wedding, whenever it be held."

"I don't think he will," Bhoothnath said vaguely, squinting down at the paper. "Sumer Singh told me yesterday that the boy does not like such functions."

"We cannot blame him for that. Boys of his age never like to attend these ceremonies. But I am sure he would have done something really good that day. He is so noble hearted," she said affectionately, while Bhoothnath devotedly scribbled planetary diagrams on the sheet.

Keeping the plates aside, Nandini wiped her hands dry on the small towel hung near the sink for the purpose. Then, assured that she had finally gained enough composure, she turned to look at her mother. "He isn't all that great, just acts like he is," she declared coolly.