Chapter 55

For several sweetly agonizing moments, his lips wrecked beautiful havoc on her own…..and teased her senses into enthralling delight.

Nandini held on to him tightly, wishing with sudden desperation that the exquisite warmth of physical closeness could eliminate the emotional chasm between them.

"Nandini!" 

In a second, her body turned ice cold. It was her mother's voice from somewhere below in the house…...

She tore her lips away from his, and strained to free herself.

"Where are you going?" he demanded.

"Didn't you hear that! Ma is looking for me!" she said, pushing at his arms in panic. "And if I don't go, she might come up here and see us together!"

"And if she does?"

"What are you -"

"What if she sees us? What if she asked you about us?" he asked challengingly.

She gaped at him, struggling to think of an answer….but none came to her lips….

What would she do if her mother saw her locked in an embrace with a man….what would she say….what could she possibly say….

She was aware of his steady gaze gauging every emotion flickering past on her features, and the growing condemnation in his eyes….

And all of a sudden, she felt angry. What enjoyment did it give him to always put her in a spot like that….

 "I'd tell her you were attacking me," she said tartly.

His face hardened as he let go of her, almost thrusting her away. "I'm sure you will,"

"Cant you stop picking fights with me for no reason?" she asked exasperatedly.

"I'm not the one who starts the fights," he retorted.

 "No, you don't start the fights! You only throw tantrums like a spoilt little prince. You know what? You are just an overgrown child," she snapped.

His arms suddenly snaked around her waist again and hauled her into intimate contact with his furious frame.

"Don't make me prove that I'm not a child," he said with a quietness that was more frightening that his temper. "I'll enjoy the experience, but I wont care if you do or not."

She was still speechless with shock and anger when he disengaged himself smoothly. Looking at her derisively, he unraveled the dupatta from around his hand, used it casually to wipe his face clean with purposeful insensitivity and threw it back on her trembling body with cold indifference.

**********************

Sankatmochan beamed to himself as he limped into Ayodhya and made his way towards Prithvi's room.

It had been a stroke of genius. Who else could have thought of something so original! He was absolutely tired of the roller coaster love story going on in front of him and so had decided to take matters into his own hands. But he had hit a roadblock as he had no idea about how to go ahead. Then he had seen those jobless louts lounging around outside the colony and the brilliant idea had struck him.

He had asked them to get drunk to add the right effect. Then they would try to assault Nandini, Prithvi would save her, Nandini would be so overcome with awe that she would never ever lose her temper with Prithvi again, and then the love birds would live happily ever after.

He found Prithvi changing into a new shirt, and puzzlingly, there were faint traces of colour on his face.

"You played Holi?" Sankatmochan asked in delight.