Chapter 3

"Here we are!" Kanato exclaimed ...
Looking around quickly, I note with surprise that we were in a gaming room type space. There was comfortable chairs and couches laid out effectively over the space. There was a pool table in the center of the room, and on the wall opposite of it was a dart board with three darts still lodged within in.
     'Someone got a triple twenty.' I note with amusement. I didn't have a chance to ask who had gotten the triple twenty before I was hastily ushered into one of the lush couches.
The next few seconds were kind of a blur for me but the next thing I knew I had Teddy in my lap, Kanato was sitting so close he was practically on my lap. (He was also holding Ilithios.) Laito was sitting on the other side of me, not as close but his knee was still leaning against my leg. Ayato was sitting in front of me, with Yui sitting next to him. Shu was lounging on a couch nearby, Reiji was standing to the left of Yui, and Subaru was leaning against the wall somewhere behind me. In front of me was a table with a deck of cards and a sowing kit.
      "Okay then." I murmur, getting a whiplash. Reaching for the sowing kit, I opened it and grabbed a needle with a brown spool. "Is brown thread ok or do prefer another color."
      "Can it be white so it blends in with his stomach?" Kanato asked timidly, resting his chin on my shoulder.
      "Your wish is my command." I grin as I go after a creamy white spool of thread.
Kanato gives a genuine sounding laugh. "Then I wish." He plays with Ilithios hat as I set up the needle.       "Ok guys, ask the questions I see burning in your eyes"
      Laito throws up a hand. "Wait! Wait! I'm working on it!" he reaches forward to grab the cards, and begins to shuffle.
      'Are they going to play Uno while I sow?' I look at Yui questioningly (seeing as she was right across from me.) but she just shrugged, she didn't know.
      "Ok!" Laito exclaimed suddenly, slapping the cards on the table, and puts six different cards to the side. "Here's how the game goes. Whomever gets the wild card will ask the first question to our Pretty Bird!"
     It was then that Kanato found he could remove the hat and saw the soul-seal underneath.
      "What's this, Iris?" Kanato's eyes bore into mine, curiosity a bright, dangerous thing.
     "No fair, Kanato." Laito whined, "We have to follow the game rules."
      "Since when have you followed the rules?" Kanato stated quietly, glaring at Laito with intent.
      "Kanato," I said quietly, my eyes cast down as I focused on my task with the bear.
      I expected him to yell at me for censuring him, but he shocks me again by going "humph," and resting his head back on my shoulder, watching my hand as I used the needle with expert swiftness, the stitches close, neat, and near invisible.
      He sighed in content, most likely satisfied with my work, and nuzzled his purple head against my shoulder.
      "To answer your question, Kanato, That mark is Ilithios's soul seal. Like the name implies, the seal is what's binding his soul to the stuffed bunny. There's another, larger one under his vest."
      "Why Do You Keep Touching Me!?" Ilithios barked out, "I'm Not Some Damn Puppy! AND STOP TRYING TO STRIP ME!" With that shout, he managed to wiggle his way out of Kanato's hold and hides under my legs, grumbling about brats.
      "I'm thinking of sealing his soul to an owl next. It'll be more convenient for me to travel around with him if he can fly without my assistance." I quip with amusement, keeping my focus on the stuffed bear.
      "Ok, before anyone else asks a question to our Pretty Bird, let's pass the cards out." Laito says happily, laying the four cards on the table face down and throwing the last two cards at Subaru and Shu, which they caught without looking up.
      "Three, Two, One, Flip!"
      Despite everyone looking as though this was stupid, they flipped their card when Laito said to, and I paused in my sowing to see who I was answering the question from...and saw Reiji put the wild card on the table.
      "The rabbit started speaking of your bloodline," He pauses to fix his glasses (which in my opinion really didn't look as though they needed fixing, but ok, whatever.) "But was...interrupted before he could finish." He sniffs, staring at me with glowing eyes.
      "Yes, I was there." I said smartly, grinning at him. "Ask your question Reiji."
      "Who are your parents, and what's your social standing in the demon realm?"
      "That's two questions you tableware otaku." Ayato grumbles, grinning mischievously up at Reiji.
      Tableware Otaku?
      "It's okay Ayato. They fall into the same category." I smile at him gently, and resume my work on Teddy.
      "As you all already know, my parents are the first duke and duchess of the demon world. But they are also heirs to the throne." I smiled at their confused stares. "You see, my father was the first son born to Burai, the Demon King. Making me the Demon King's granddaughter."
      Those confused stares turned gaping, and there were at least two gasps.
      Ayato leaned forward, his eyes wide. To my surprise there was actually a twinge and fear within his green gaze.
      "Have you heard of a woman," Ayato started, Laito and Kanato going strangely still next to me. I paused in my sowing once more and straitened, giving him my full attention. Whatever he was about to say...it was nothing light.
       "Her name was Cordelia."
       I swore my heart froze in my chest, and my face turned ghastly as my blood ran cold. It took me a few seconds to find my voice. "What did you say?" I shook, "How do you know that name?"
      "You know her?" Laito asked quietly, his playful façade gone, and his fist clenched so tight his knuckles were actually white.
      "She was the first daughter born to Burai by a favored vampiress concubine." I explain, still shook up. "She's my eldest aunt. But she's a half-blood, so we barely spoke. Plus her personality was revolting, she acted like she had authority." I growl as I scrunch up my nose, disgusted by the memories.
      "Being the daughter of the Demon King doesn't give her any title?" Yui asked quietly.
      "No, if you want a name for yourself in the Demon World, you have to earn it. You don't automatically get a name simply because you were born into a certain family. And most demons are too proud to lean on their families anyway.
       "Cordelia...she was a different story because she was a vampire-demon hybrid. She liked to throw her title around and would bully some of the weaker demons simply because she could, sometimes beating them half to death because of stupid little things." I paused and shook my head, ridding myself of the image of a gargoyle who made the mistake of putting one sugar cube in my aunt's morning tea instead of two. "When she started punishing the Elite Guardsmen for not showing her attention, all of our family had had enough.
      "You have to understand that, the Elite Guard doesn't guard the royal bloodline because it was their order to do so. They serve us purely out of their own will. Even with us being royalty, we have no right to really order them around, it would be disgraceful to do so."
      I did the last two stiches, cut the thread with my fangs, and handed the newly fixed Teddy back to Kanato. He took it gratefully, giving me that smile I've come to associate with him. He buries his head in it and leans towards me. I lean back against the couch and look up at the ceiling
       "Cordelia was apparently always a child. Her mother had died giving birth to her, her vampire body unable to handle the demonic energy her child carried. So Cordelia grew up without the tenderness of a mother, causing her to be vain, brutal and merciless. I always believed that was why my grandfather would so often turn the other way while she brutalized and tortured."
I reached up and released my hair from the tight ponytail that was starting to cause a headache.
        "What happened to her? Why did she leave?" Kanato asked, his fingers running though the tips of my long hair as though he was texting the texture.
       "The rumor we helped along was that a vampire male came and spirited her away, but in actuality we kicked her out, it was pure luck she met that man." I said thinking about how desperate that man must've been.
        "Why did you kick her out?" Ayato asked, Yui rubbing his back comfortably.
       'Hmm...' I smile inwardly. 'There's something going on there.'
       "An Elite refused to lay with her and she took it as insult. So she beat and bloodied him. The other Elite were ready to draw blood for their fallen comrade, and the simple fact is, Cordelia wasn't worth going to war over. So when grandfather disowned her, I was sent to appease the Elite."
      "You?" Subaru spoke up.
      "Yeah, surprising huh?" I grin, "I'm the oldest grandchild, and grandfather decided it was time for my generation to prove ourselves." I cross my arms and my legs, "As a pureblood demon, we don't scare easily, but I was certainly shaking that night. The Elite are certainly a force to be reckoned with...Now, before I explain what happened at the confrontation. How have you heard of Cordelia?" Of the discarded hybrid princess?
        There was a tense silence around me as the triplets looked back and forth from each other. Finally, Shu interrupted the stretch of silence.
       "Cordelia, was the triplet's mother." Shu murmured, his eyes watching my intently.
My breath stalled in my lungs as I went into a cuffing fit, it lasted a good ten seconds. When it finally subsided, I felt my eyes go demon as I glared at Shu. "Lying isn't a good hobby, golden boy."
        "It'd true, unfortunately." Reiji said, once again fixing his glasses.
        "That's impossible, and I'll tell you why it's impossible. Because hybrids have two breeds of creatures in them, and the DNA of each breed with fight for superiority, and most of the time the fetus is too weak to handle the aggression, causing it to miscarry." I crossed my arms again. "And that's without taking the fathers DNA into account."
       Reiji began grinning, which looked slightly frightening on his composed face. "Ah, but if the fathers DNA is that of the same breed as one of the breeds that make up the hybrid, the parental DNA would work together to overwhelm the other breed and allow the fetus to develop and grow."
        I freeze in a way that is nothing human, even my heart pauses for a few good moments. Snapping my head towards Laito, I move at a demon's speed to grip his neck with my left hand. "Give me your mind." Is the only warning I give before I latch myself to his throat. My fangs drawing in his blood and, with it, his memories. I didn't go where I wasn't welcome, and it only took a few seconds to find what I was looking for.
        Cordelia, the discarded hybrid princess.
     "Why are you doing this, mother?" Laito questioned as Cordelia stroked his face in a bedroom.
        My aunt smiled at him with lust glowing within her emerald gaze, not the maternal love a mother should feel towards her child. "Isn't it natural for a mother to love her son?" she purred salaciously.
I ripped away from him, my eyes wide, disbelieving.
        "Impossible...this is impossible." I whispered, as I looked at Kanato and then Ayato, recognizing the familial bond that had snapped taunt between the four of us. It felt like being broad sided by a baseball bat, and from their shocked expressions, they felt it too. "We were told she could never have children...We all agreed it was for the best because of her personality......Are you guys ok? If we knew, we would've taken you away to safety..."
         "We're fine," Ayato grimaced. "We killed her a while ago."
           That made me pause. "You managed to kill a half demon?"
         "Yeah?" Kanato asked cautiously, somehow leaning closer to me.
         "Huh, good job." I lean back/collapsed against the back of the couch.
          "You're not angry?" Laito asked, his eyes surprised.
           I think about this question carefully. "Her death, was it necessary?"
         "Yes," Ayato says instantly, his hand holding Yui's without seeming to realize it.
            I smirk at it mentally, but turn my gaze to Laito. He stares at me but not at me for a few good moments...then gives me a jerky nod. I glance at Kanato to see him already staring straight at me, but then avoids my gaze and stares just over Teddy's head. Then ever so quietly nods, "hmm".
I sigh and run my fingers through Kanato's hair, gently encouraging him to lean back into me, which he does instantly. With the familial bond now complete, I could tell instinctually I was older then all of them by a few years. Probably why I instinctually felt the need to console and protect them even though they obviously didn't need it.
           "If it was necessary, then I have no right to be angry." I say tonelessly as I stare at the opposite wall, my left hand finding Laito's shoulder and squeezing it twice. His knee once again bumping mine in complice.
          "If it's okay with you two," I spoke to Kanato and Ayato, "I'd like to see your memories of her later on. I need to see if she devolved into something inhuman." Into a true monster in the closet.
         "Wasn't she already inhumane?" Yui asked, her eyes confused, yet curious.
         "Actually in the demon world, her vile temper aside, there was something about her personality that attracted many of the demonic animals to her personal garden.
         "Demonic animals?" Yui's eyes wide.
        "Like earth animals, only much more sensitive to emotion. They found sanctuary under Cordelia's watchful gaze...Actually, now that I think of it she did get a name from that."
          "Aren't you going to tell?" Subaru said smartly.
           I glare at him, "Watch your tone, boy."
          He jumps and then glances away, "Tch."
          Humph, Tsundere.
         "She became known as 'Cordelia of the Green', or the 'Naughty Green Guardian'. She scorned and looked down upon anything that could talk or think for themselves, but with the animals, she was a person transformed...she was almost a decent person." I mused with a soft smile that faded all too quickly. "You guys probably never got to see that side of her."
          "No, she was the bitch that needed to go." Ayato growled, Yui started to rub his back again.
         'Ayato must've gotten the brute of her personality.' I thought solemnly
         "If you wish to see the 'Guardian' side of her, I'll be happy to let you review my memories." Fair was fair after all.
          "Ahh," Laito grinned, "I'll be first, I need to get back at you for the love bite you've so graciously given me." He spoke in my ear, and before I could stop him...he nipped my jaw.
         I don't remember exactly what happened next. But the next thing I knew both of my hands were so tightly around Laito's neck that my nails were actually drawing blood. He was beneath me on the couch, and I was growling so loudly, I was actually vibrating the said couch.
        I froze, gasped, and threw myself away from him even as the beast that was my true nature whispered at me to show him who was more powerful.
        All of the brothers must've sensed the danger that was me at the moment, because they started to slowly move away from me, who had somehow found myself in a corner in the room. When I sensed them move away, I snapped my head up and growled at them. "Don't you dare move away!" my voice multilayered and demonic. My eyes unable to return to their "human" disguise.
         If they decided to run, my true nature would see them as prey, and I would give chase. I wouldn't be able to help it.
        "Don't any of you move, my dear cousins. I don't want to hurt my own family." I said a little bit more calmly as I put my hands on my head and began to regulate my breathing.
           We all stayed where we were until I was able to get more civilized thought back into my mind. I took several more deep breaths before the last of the dark whispers receded.
            I sighed and stood up slowly, my eyes going back to human, I observed the room, and found that everyone had taken a step back, their postures betraying their alarm. Ayato standing in front of Yui.
            I shook my head, and smiled impishly. "Ok. My dear cousins, let's have a little Demon 101. Demons are, as a rule, very predatory creatures. For us, to let someone near our throat is the ultimate form of submission and trust. You simply Do Not let just anyone's hands or mouth on or anywhere near our throat. If someone touches us there, and we do not allow it, we are automatically programed to recognize that touch as either a dominance challenge or a threat. And each one usually ends in death."
           I give Laito an exasperated glare. "Even playful nips can be mistaken as challenges," I smile a little before turning to the rest. "The reason I told you all not to move is because that instinct is very...animalistic. If you had moved, you would've become prey, and I wouldn't have been able to tell whether or not I was hurting you."
         "You have no control over it?" Yui asked, her eyes wide.
        I smiled brightly at her. "Absolutely none, I'm sure there are others among my kind who have some sort of control, but this instinct runs so thick and so deep it's near impossible to fight it." I smile wispily, "Also, most don't want to fight it."
           "Why don't they want to fight it?" Subaru asked, inching closer.
           "It provides an illusion of power, my family jokes that the instinct has a little mind of its own. When we are under the influence of it, thoughts that are not our own will whisper for us to do...stuff." I grimace.
              "Very interesting," Reiji murmurs, looking at me as though I was his scientific find. I grin darkly at him, daring him to voice those thoughts.
               "I'll give you a blood sample later, so stop making googily eyes at me," I fold my arms and sniff, "It's highly rude, and slightly unnerving."
               "Apologies," He says dryly, not looking the least bit sorry.
* * *
Time skip
* * *
         Three hours later, I find myself in the kitchen, getting myself something to drink. (Because I didn't trust Reiji's tea.) The boys had had fun asking me questions after the Cordelia subject was through. Laito had somehow convinced his brothers to do that silly card game and the order practically went; Reiji, Laito, Subaru, Kanato, Shu, Ayato, and Yui just sat on Ayato's lap quietly like a behaved pet.
          I smirk at the fresh memories of us laughing and ribbing one another. Now that the familial bond was complete, everyone seemed much more comfortable and at ease with me.
           From the other room, I can hear Ilithios having a full out argument with Daddy; Kanato's familiar and spitting image of Teddy. Like Ilithios, Daddy can move by itself, but doesn't seem to be able to speak. Making all of Ilithios's arguments invalid.
          I chuckle quietly, he really is hopeless.
          I just finish my drink when I sense someone's presence behind the wall. I give a toothy grin.
        "I don't bite like my cousins, Yui, come out." I say without turning around.
        "F-Forgive me," She stutters, her eyes downcast.
        "Did you do something that may offend me?" I widen my eyes in curiosity and tilt my head.
        "N-no, I don't believe I did." Yui shudders, taking a step back.
        "Good, then I have nothing to forgive." Taking a seat behind the counter, motioning her to come sit in front of me. Which she does so hesitantly.
         "They have you trained better than the courtiers my honorable grandfather keeps for his amusement." I murmur, watching her with ill-hidden curiosity. This is the closest I've been to a human that's still breathing.
           Yui takes a sharp breath, her eyes widening, then lowering again when I mention my grandfather.
        "Forgive me if you took it as insult, I'm not used to dealing with humans...At least those who still alive." I say tonelessly.
          She shakes her head, "What's he like?" she whispers, as if afraid someone might hear. "Your grandfather, I mean."
          I sigh and lean back in my chair, my eyes close for 5 solid seconds before I rest my chin on the backs of my hands. "That man," I begin softly, "He only has to approach you. And your whole body will feel this cold, piercing chill." I look in her eyes as my own turn gold. "All of your cells will scream in fear, and you'll be unable to stand or even stay upright."
         I smile wispily, staring beyond her. "All beings fall to their knees, instinctually ready to serve Burai. That is awe."
       "You make him sound scarier than our father." Laito purrs as he wraps his arms around me from behind. My eyes turn normal again.
          Sensing the other brothers filling the kitchen area and sliding into chairs as smooth as cats.
I laugh lightly, "Oh, my dear cousin, your father doesn't even compare," I reach up and pluck his hat off his head to place it on my own. "He may be able to hold out against my father, but grandfather Burai? Oh Uncle Heinz wouldn't stand a chance."
          "Is that so?" Reiji murmurs from the head of the counter.
           I tilt Laito's hat at him, giving him a smirk. "Being 'King' means he has the power and energy of every demon born into the Demon World. I automatically know when grandfather gets into a fight, because energy will gradually drain from me, going to his aide."
            Ayato whistles. "That's some major fire power."
            I grin demonically, "It's some deadly fire-power." I growl.
          "Well, well Pretty Bird." Laito drawls seductively as he snatches his hat back, "I want to see how well your demonic strength holds up against a vampire."
           "How crass," I trickle with amusement. "Is a vampire challenging a demon? One with the Demon King's blood directly in her line?"
          "We have the Demon King's blood within us too." Kanato giggles, insanity creeping into his smile.
         "Hmm, that is so. But it's muted by your vampiric blood, which is currently dominate. If you were to awaken the demonic energy which flows within you, there's little chance of you being able to control it." I pause for a few moments, and feel my eyes turn molten gold. "Actually, that's a real risk. You three will have to undergo some training to learn how to control it."
          "There's training for that?" Subaru asks from his seat next to Yui.
          My eyes go normal as I give a delighted chuckle. "Oh Subaru, there's training for everything nowadays."
           Subaru blushes and looks away with a "tch" as a quiet, content laughter circles the room.
* * *
Time Skip
* * *
        My newly found cousins and their human pet were currently sleeping in their rooms while I was up on the roof.
         Its 6:36 p.m. and a solar eclipse is happening above me. Filling me with its universal power, I'm literally glowing from it. I'm also pretty sure I have a silly grin on my face as s result from the power high I'm getting from the eclipse.
         Demon are strong, that goes without saying, but when we come to the human world for long periods of time, our power reserves will drain away and become weak. Basking in the glow from the eclipse is a good recharge. I'm actually surprised that my cousins aren't out here with me.
         I close my eyes and lean back, spreading my wings so the eclipse's light can absorb into them. A small smile dances on my lips...this does not suck.
         A sudden cold, piecing chill slams into my body, causing me to tense up. My eyes (already gold because of the eclipse.) turn molten. My breath becomes shallow, and my body grows heavy. If I wasn't already sitting down, I surely would've collapsed.
         'Why is he here?' I wonder as I force myself to get it together, showing weakness in front of 'him', is the same as forfeiting your life.
           Shadows are pulled away from their casters to gather in front of me, materializing to look more like smoke then the shadows they are. They pick up speed until they form a black tornado and 'he' forms within the eye of it. The shadows are then dragged towards him until they surround his body, acting like clothes.
            I find myself facing probably the deadliest creature in all the worlds, Burai, the Demon King, and my grandfather.
         "Iris." He drawls softly, his voice multilayered and washes over me like the tips of knives dancing over my skin.
            I shudder inwardly as I try not to hear the voices behind his, try not to hear the endless screams.
I meet those eyes that have seen eternity, and forcing my face to stay indifferent, I lower my eyes in submission. "My honorable Grandfather, to what may I owe this honor?" I say, speaking in the way of old.
          His eternally young face gives a small smile, causing me to pale.
          He levitates closer to me, his "clothing" dancing around him in dramatic flares. I take a quick chance to look over him. No knows exactly how old Burai is or who his parents are. But being immortal, he has a face that hasn't aged and could pass for a twenty five year old. He is beautiful in the way of immortals, his eyes a gold more pure and bright than my own. His hair a brown copper color that shimmers in the light, his body that of a warrior, his muscles rippling below his skin, and his scars worn proudly as badges of honor. His skin the color of ceramic. His wings, unlike my own, are feathered and made for strength rather than speed, the feathers are a pure black that seem to absorb the light rather than reflect it, and the tips of each feather looks as though it's been spray painted gold. When he fly's, he looks like a piece of the sun that has broken away. Ironic for a being that's supposed to be the embodiment of darkness. And at 6'7, he is a man that no one could mistake as human.
           He levitates closer until he is a foot away from me, the impact of him so intense that my lungs lose their air causing me to slowly suffocate, but still, I keep my face calm, and my body respectful and submissive.
          Burai's smile grows slightly as his eyes begin to glow. "Very good." He growls deeply, his voice seductive and clear, it's no wonder why so many women (and more than a few men) have fallen victim to it.
         He reaches out with a large hand, and caresses my cheek. Causing me to flinch ever so lightly, and as he rests his forehead against my own, I force myself to stay calm even as my lips begin to turn purple from lack of air.
          He grins to purposely show one fang (much more deadly looking than any vampire's) and spreads his gigantic wings to surround us. The force of Burai is now surrounding me, I feel as though he has reached inside of me to kill me slowly, torturing me. My vision grows hazy, and I can't hold it anymore as I begin gasping for air that isn't there.
         But still, I show no weakness.
        "I...w-will not...surren-der to...you." I pant, glaring at him with the eyes he gave me.
          I glare into his gaze for what seems like eternity until I see black pin-pricks in my vision.
         My consciousness slowly fading until....

to be continued