Chapter One

"Welcome to Beacon Hills,
population: 30,000"

I honestly never thought I would be seeing that sign again. It's been so many years and I honestly don't even count anymore. I didn't want to. Being back in this town caused me enough painful memories.

With a huff, I adjusted myself in the leather seat and brought my left leg under me. My head leaning against the window, watching the trees zoom bye. All while my fingers tape along to the song coming through my headphones.

"Hey, Brit" I heard a gruff voice say from the left of me

Pulling my headphone out, "Yeah Der?" not turning to face him

"We're almost there"

"I know." I began "No matter how long we've been gone, I still know this town like the back of my hand"

"Me too"

"Out of all the places in this freaking country, Laura had to come back here" I grumbled

"I'm not any happier about being back here either Brit, but we have to find Laura" he basically snapped.

I sent him my signature glare, before turning back to the window. I heard him sigh and right before I put my headphone back in he grabbed my wrist gently, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to snap, it's just, I never thought we would be coming back" Derek spoke softly

I looked at him, trying to ignore the stupid butterflies and shocks from his touch. I'm so glad I learned how to control my heart beat.

"I know, I never thought we would either." I said sending him a soft smile which he returned but it didn't reach either of our eyes.

As we pulled up onto the familiar dirt path my heart started to beat faster and clench. There, less than five hundred yards, stood the very house I never wanted to see again.

I got out of the car and I could feel Derek's eyes on me as I moved towards the stairs. I placed my hand on the closet beam to me and I could suddenly hear their screams, I could see their faces pressed against the window, banging on it trying to get out. I shook my head, trying to clear my mind.

"Brit" I heard Derek from behind me but I continued making my way through the front door.

I could see an old dusty couch in the room to the right, and debris everywhere. I touched the stair railing and suddenly I was brought back to that night.

"Brit! Cora! Dinner's done!" my mom called from down stairs

"Coming!" We yelled together causing us to giggle

"Race you!" Cora screamed while running out of her room, towards the stairs

"Oh you little" I said while chasing her down the stairs

I was brought back when I felt a hand on my shoulder,

"Brit?" he spoke softly behind me

"Yeah?" I whispered, afraid if I spoke any louder I would break.

"I asked if you wanted to go to the storage unit and grab your car? That way you can drive to school tomorrow"

"Oh, um yeah, lets do that." I began "Derek? Do you mind if we share the couch or something? I'd rather not check the damage of the rooms upstairs"

"You take the couch. I got the floor" He smiled reassuringly

I awoke with a start, hearing a howling in the distance.

"Derek?" I called out while standing from the couch.

I made my way through the living room and over towards the front door, only stopping when I felt a presence behind me. I quickly turned around and swung my fist only for it to be caught and pulled into someones body.