Chapter 9

Lieutenant Alexander returned to the Lunar a couple of days later feeling happier and more relaxed. He thought he was ready now, to face Marc. He had made a big effort to stop thinking about Marc for the two days - occasionally he had even succeeded - but he couldn't put this off any longer. They had to talk about what had happened.

Marc was off-duty, working out in the gym, when he received the message from Jack on his wrist com.

"We need to talk. Your cabin or mine?"

~~~

Even though he was expecting this, Marc still felt his stomach clench in nervous anticipation. Still, best to get it over with. He could only hope Jack didn't despise him too much, that he could bring himself to forgive him. He sent a reply, "Mine. Ten minutes."

He finished up at the gym and took a quick shower before heading to his quarters. As First Lieutenant, he rated a small sitting room as well as a sleeping room; most of the other men only had a small all-purpose cabin. Jack was waiting outside when he got there, still wearing the black trousers and raw silk shirt he had worn for his leave. The clothes suited him. He looked hot, thought Marc, in some surprise.

Jack followed him into his quarters, words rushing out the moment Marc shut the door. "I am so sorry, Marc. I was only trying to help and instead I nearly fucked everything up for you!"

Marc couldn't believe his ears, Jack was apologising to him. His prepared speech went spinning out into space as he blurted out, "Don't! I'm so ashamed of myself." Unexpectedly, he pulled the other man into his arms and held him tight. "If the Captain hadn't said he was thinking of having you flogged I might never have said anything!" he confessed to the air next to Jack's ear. "You were nearly whipped! Can you ever forgive me?"

He felt Jack relax in his arms for a minute, before he pulled free, ending the embrace. "Of course I forgive you. I'm sure you would have told Pattisson the truth soon."

Marc was oddly disappointed when his friend drew away, holding him like that had felt surprisingly ... good. The thought slid into his mind that he would like to hug Jack again, harder. Instantly he pushed the thought away. What on Earth was he thinking? He had always thought of Jack as his best friend, his brother even, never allowing himself to think of him in a sexual way despite the fact that they were both oms. He took an uncomfortable step backwards - how embarrassing!

"So what did you get up to on Mayia?" he asked, hoping to change the subject. He was startled to see Jack colour up slightly.

"I had a few drinks with some of the crew, then I went to the All Stars and played knock-ball. Met someone," he added, smiling faintly in remembrance.

Marc was astonished at the instant rush of acid to his stomach. "Met someone?" he queried, trying to sound interested rather than jealous. Jack rarely indulged in short term pickups while on station leave, in fact Marc was almost certain he hadn't been with anyone for about a year. He remembered teasing him about it a few weeks ago - he winced at the memory - so why was the news that he had finally picked someone up bothering him now?

"Will you see him again?"

"Probably not, but it was fun while it lasted. Have you heard anything new from Major Pattisson?"

"Not yet. They were going to investigate Ryan further, see if he had a history with Fraser that might indicate where they were going."

"I'm sorry about Ryan," said Jack quietly.

"Not as sorry as I am, believe me!" Marc turned it into a joke. "I'm confined to the ship for the present so I'll use it as an opportunity to have a break from relationships. It will be good for me I'm sure. I swear I'm going to be much more careful who I pick up in future."

Jack's wrist com beeped at him. "I'd better go, I'm back on duty in ten minutes and I need to change." He smiled, gave Mark a quick hug and a slap on the back, and left at a brisk walk.

Marc watched him go.

~~~

Jack felt as if a huge burden had been lifted from his shoulders. Their friendship was back on track.

But as he walked, he couldn't help reliving the last few minutes. The feel of Marc's body hard against his, Marc's hand stroking his back in slow comforting circles, the heat burning his skin through the thin silk shirt. He could have stayed like that for ever, but he'd needed to end the embrace before Marc realised the effect it was having on him.

~~~

Down on Mayia, Major Pattisson and Captain Tazi were digging deep into Ryan and Fraser's backgrounds.

"This is interesting," said Captain Tazi. "Fraser had an adopted sister, different name, who died four years ago. There's no record of any contact between them for at least the last twenty years so that's why she hasn't appeared on our radar up til now. She had a son born in 2465, that would make him twenty one now." Pattisson came across to look over his shoulder. "Let me just search the birth records for that year." He waited impatiently. "Ah here we are, his name was registered as Henry William Morgan, born 21/10/2465."

"Billy!" they said at the same time.

"Let's cross check all their recent and not so recent movements, and see if anything turns up." Pattisson felt as if they were starting to make progress. "We'll take it back the whole twenty years if we have to."

Ryan, or Morgan to call him by his proper name, had moved to Beledi four years ago when his mother died, and after a variety of short term unskilled jobs had eventually found steady employment at the Seraglio, a small and discreet sex shop, located in the same district as the Purple Heart. Of particular interest to Pattisson was the fact that, looking further afield, Fraser and Morgan had both liked to take their holidays up in the mountains at a hiking resort called Wilderness Retreat. Although it appeared they never took their holidays at exactly the same time, Pattisson and Tazi both thought the lead well worth pursuing.