Chapter 16

Alexander lay on his bed alone and stared at the ceiling. He felt as if he was caught in a wormhole of emotions. He couldn't have the man he loved and he thought it was unfair to continue his relationship with Pattisson. They would be docking on Capella Space Station tomorrow, perhaps he should apply for a couple of days leave and find some stranger to have mindless sex with. He had tried so hard to keep his love for Marc from destroying their friendship but the irony was he didn't know if it would survive this latest conflict in any case. After the violent emotional upheavals of the past few weeks, he didn't know if it was possible to be at ease with each other ever again.

Captain Ivanov had no problems with giving Alexander a couple of days leave.

"That's fine. You can help Major Pattisson escort Fraser down to Patrol headquarters, and then you're free for the next thirty six hours after that."

"Thank you, sir."

The Lieutenant hadn't seen Pattisson since their encounter in his cabin. He wasn't sure how he would be received, but the Major had his official face on as he arranged for the prisoner's transport, and they soon slipped back into their working relationship. Pattisson had half expected an attempt by Fraser's men to attempt a rescue, but nothing untoward occurred and they soon had Fraser safely housed in his new quarters on Capella.

Capella resembled nothing so much as a small city under a dome. The city was home to anything between two to three thousand people at a time, with apartments, hotels and shops as well as Patrol Headquarters. The dome was silver grey like the rest of the material used in building the station, but it gave inhabitants the illusion of openness, people could stroll around the streets as if they were planetside.

From space Capella looked like a large disc, it's edges crimped with docking bays and workshops, all catering for the space traffic which was its primary purpose.

"Can I have a word with you? Outside?" The Major came up quietly behind Alexander as he was leaving Headquarters.

"Of course, sir."

Both men were silent until they were out of earshot of anyone else.

The Major cleared his throat, "I was wondering if you were planning on going cruising tonight?"

Alexander stopped and stared at him.

The other man coloured slightly but pressed on, "Because if you were, I was wondering if I could come along."

To his surprise, Alexander felt a quick flash of hurt jealousy, so much for 'I think I'm falling in love with you'.

He tried to get over it. "Sure, why not? You'll have to wear civilian clothes of course," he reminded him. It was actually illegal for any crewman to wear uniform while out drinking or looking for a pickup, om or straight. "Where are you staying? I'm at the Blue Nova. "

"Me too," said Pattisson easily, at least he would be now, as soon as he could arrange it. He smiled blandly at the Lieutenant, now it was his turn to go hunting. "I'll meet you in front of Reception at 20:00?"

"Fine, I'll be there."

Alexander didn't recognise him. He hadn't seen Pattisson out of uniform before and he found himself checking out the slim man in black trousers and black silk shirt before he took a second look and realised it was Ethan. The Major had been wondering if the black silk was too much, but the heat in Alexander's eyes reassured him. He thought Jack looked pretty hot himself in his black trousers and favourite raw silk shirt. Pattisson was making a big effort to appear confident and avoid appearing too vulnerable, although he found himself staying close to Alexander as they walked through the narrow streets to the All Stars. He hoped this was going to work.