Chapter 6

Duran told him the whole story, starting from when he had first seen Ryan at the Purple Heart. The Major let him finish in his own words first then began to question him on specific points. Duran looked startled and dubious when Pattisson suggested Ryan might have orchestrated the pickup rather than the other way around. Pattisson made a mental note to question Alexander further about that, and moved on to more personal details. Duran was embarrassed but he repeated what he and Ryan had said to each other as accurately as he could. Ryan had made a casual reference at one point while they were still in the bar, to an uncle, and the Major thought that might be worth following up. If Fraser was his uncle, rather than a lover, that might open up a whole new line of enquiry. 

Eventually Pattisson rose to his feet, "That will do for the moment Lieutenant, I'd best go and tell Alexander he's free to go. Or do you want to tell him yourself?" 

Duran winced and looked at him in dismay. "No, please Major! I don't think I can face him yet," he admitted. "I need to see the Captain. I was supposed to have an interview on Monday that I'll have to cancel. That is ... can I go and see him now? Or are you going to take me to detention sir?" 

"No you're free to return to your duties for the moment, but I'm afraid I'll have to cancel any planet leave you've got booked for a while." 

The Lieutenant shuddered involuntarily, he was in no hurry to return to Beledi. A stint of celibacy was suddenly appealing for the first time in his adult life.  

"Thank you, sir. I'll go and see Captain Ivanov now." 

Major Pattisson went straight to the detention room, he'd catch up with Ivanov after Duran had seen him. He was certain the Captain would have a few words to say to his First Lieutenant! 

Lieutenant Alexander was sitting at the table, finishing a simple meal when he entered the room. He stood up hastily, "Sir?" 

"It's alright Lieutenant, you're free to go. Lieutenant Duran has told us what really happened, finally." He smiled wryly at the doubtful expression on Alexander's face. "I could charge you with wasting my time but it seems a bit harsh under the circumstances. Just one thing, can you tell me what you saw when Ryan was at the bar? Did you notice anyone watching him for example?" 

Alexander sat down again, running over the events in his mind. "Ryan came in just after we got there and went straight to the bar. He ordered a drink and then sat there by himself. I think he may have chatted to the barman, I wasn't watching him all the time at that point." He looked suddenly self-conscious. "I do remember at least two men approaching him and being turned away. Then Marc..er.. Lieutenant Duran decided to try his luck and Ryan gave him the green light." 

"What do you mean, can you tell me exactly?" Pattisson queried. 

Alexander smiled for the first time. "I can show you if you'd be OK with that?" 

Major Pattisson nodded rather uneasily. "Alright." 

The other man frowned at the two chairs, bolted to the floor on opposite sides of the table. He looked sideways into the adjoining room and stood up. "Come and sit next to me on the edge of the bed, pretend we're at the bar, no ... a little bit nearer and turn towards me." 

It was if he had turned a switch, suddenly the brisk officer next to him was transformed into a silken predator. Alexander's body angles softened as he leant towards him, his eyes filled with heat as he looked slowly down at his mouth then upwards into his eyes, his fingers brushed lightly against the Major's as if by accident, and then he ran the tip of his tongue slowly over his bottom lip. The Major swallowed. Instantly Alexander drew back and straightened his shoulders, "See? That's what I mean. It seemed obvious to me that Ryan was the one doing the seducing."  

"Uh, yes, I see, that's very clear. Perhaps we had better go back and sit at the table," Pattisson suggested hastily, getting to his feet. 

"Sorry sir, I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable but it's hard to describe in words." They both sat down opposite each other at the little table, Pattisson trying to regain his composure and Alexander once again looking like a ship's officer. He changed the subject slightly. "I don't know if this will help at all, but I've seen one of the men who approached Ryan before, I think he's a regular. Aidan I think his name is, tall man, dark hair, mid forties, I'm sure they'd know him at the Purple Heart if you thought it was worth checking out." 

"Thank you Lieutenant, every angle is worth pursuing at this stage. As I said, you're free to go. If you happen to think of anything else though, please contact me immediately." 

"Yes sir." Alexander stood up. "About Lieutenant Duran? Can I ask what's happening, sir?" 

"Nothing has been decided yet, but he's confined to the ship. As far as I am concerned he's free to go about his duties for the present, I don't know if Captain Ivanov will decide differently. He's talking to him now." Pattisson paused for a minute and then burst out, "Off the record Lieutenant, can I ask you what the hell you thought you were doing?" 

"I didn't think it through sir and I made a stupid mistake." He looked at the Major ruefully, "I didn't do either of us any favours did I?" 

"I'm glad you realize that, at least." Then he paid Alexander the courtesy of the truth. "Luckily Duran owned up, otherwise he would have found himself busted back to private, permanently." 

Alexander went white as he realised that far from helping, his gesture had nearly ruined his friend's life. He wondered if he would ever forgive him.