Chapter 8: Oh, Mama Mutti

We got off the train, and onto the platform. I saw Gilbert's pale skin first, but then sitting next to him on a rail was mein Mutti. I grabbed Feliciano's hand and weaving through the crowd we rushed to her. Gilbert quickly took mine and Feli's suitcase and Feli dropped my hand. Then using both of my now free hands, I picked up Mutti by her tiny waist and twirled her in the air. She hugged me tightly, for a woman of nearly fifty her youth clung to her. She looked like she could have been my wife and not my mom. 

"Mutti." I whispered.

"Mein Kind" (My child) She said back, joy shining in her cobalt eyes, the exact place my eyes came from. We began walking to the car and for the first time ever Feliciano was silent. I noticed he was shaking with nerves and had yet to introduce himself, we got into Gilbert's car and he drove us to our modest little country house. Then he carried the suitcase inside and we all soon gathered in the living room. She smiled the whole time. 

"Both of my sons, back under my roof to see me."

"Ja Mutti, und I brought someone."

"I see zat." Feli blushed ducking behind me. She chuckled lightly.

"Is he alvays zis shy?"

"Nein! The day I first met him, it vas pouring down rain and he let me into his mansion before I even knocked, and zhen as we made introductions he took my boots and put zhem by his fireplace, babbling the whole time" I explained to her, she smiled and Feli whispered

"I don't babble..." He held to my arm tightly. I rolled my eyes at him. 

"Yes you do liebling, but it's adorable." He blushed and with that compliment some of his nerve kicked back in and he sat up a little taller. 

"So, Ludwig, you said vork vas going well in your letter. Is your boss a nice guy?" She asked, that was the one detail I had left out to my family, the fact that my boss was my boyfriend. I froze up and looked down at Feliciano. 

"I don't know, vhy doesn't he answer zat." They looked confused for a moment, before Feli finally spoke. 

"I'm Ludwig's b-boss. The CEO of Ferrari, Feliciano Vargas."Both my brother and mom smiled at him, his voice was light and soft. 

"I've also been his boyfriend for three months now" He added on just a little bit louder. Gilbert's red eyes lit up. I knew what would happen if I brought him here, I just hoped he was ready for it. 

"Well, Feliciano, I'm Ivonne Beilschmidt. I'm also Ludwig's boss" She said grinning at the two of us. My mom really was the nicest woman I know and it had been so long since I had seen her. Well, three months away from the only people you call family can get tough, even with Feliciano. They shook hands quietly, and then Feli noticed the piano covered up in the corner of the room. She took noticed of his glance

"Do you play?" She asked, glancing down at her own fingers, which were still crooked from the accident at the orchard all those years ago. 

"Yes, ma'am. I do." He said softly, I had no idea Feli played. Then she got up and removed the cover, showing a piano that was still polished. She smiled at him.

"Vould you play somezhing for us?" He nodded shakily, and sat down at the piano, popping his fingers.  Then he began to play a beautiful graceful song that was slow, but it moved along like water flowing through a creek bed. He swayed like Mutti used to when she would play letting his fingers glide across the white keys. She seemed just as mesmerized by the music as I was. Feli let one last note ring through the house and he smiled, the music opening his nerve. 

"I think you found a keeper Ludwig" Gilbert says looking at the smile on Mutti's face. I blushed and so did Feliciano. Then Mutti stood up and said, 

"Le Onde, right?" 

"Yes."

"You play very beautifully."

"Grazie." He said blushing. I think that both my mom and my brother were taking a liking to Feliciano. He stood up closing the lid to the piano. Then he finally began to make comfortable small talk with my mom. We sat there in the little living room for quiet sometime, talking and having a good time when Mutti stood up to go make pretzels. Feliciano followed her into the kitchen and watched as she spun out the dough, folding it in the braided sticks we all loved. Feli's eyes lit up. 

"Ludwig-a told me you like apples."

"Yes I do."

"Can I share a recipe that-a my grand-papa made?" 

"Sure, go ahead." She said, pointing him to a basket of fresh apples. He took them and began peeling them, then he maid some sort of syrup. It blended all together and he put the apples in it, waiting until they were soft to put it all in the blender. We watched as he poured the concoction into a bowl, still steaming hot. 

"You dip bread in it." 

"Vell, we have fresh pretzels." 

"That will-a work" He smiled, then Mutti took one of the pretzels and dipped it into Feli's apple jam. She took a small bite and smiled. 

"Ludwig."

"Ja, Mutti?"

"Marry this one."