Chapter 2- Change of Plans

It's all my fault. That phrase repeats in my head over and over again. She's dead because of me. I killed Andie.

I walk into Damon's bedroom. I haven't talked to him since last night. Elena's behind me encouraging me to go in.

"What do you want?" snarls Damon without turning around to face me. He's taking all his newspaper clippings off his closet door. He's given up.

"I'm sorry," I whisper. It's all I can manage to say.

"Sorry doesn't cut it, Aubrey. You shouldn't have come back to town. Why couldn't you just let me think you were dead?"

The way he says my full name instead of my nickname kills me from the inside out. "I came back to save Stefan."

"Yeah, Stefan. It was always Stefan. Where were you when I was bitten by Tyler Lockwood, huh? I almost died and you didn't care."

I've been trying to avoid this exact conversation. I didn't know about Damon's near death experience until it was over. The guilt's been eating me alive. "I'm here now, Damon."

"Yeah, well, no one wants you here," he growls, ripping a road map off the closet door. He throws what remains of it at me.

I catch it and hold it so I can see what Damon was previously using it for. There are red x's on locations all over the eastern seaboard.

I soon recognize what this is. Damon's been tracking Stefan all along. "You never gave up on him," I whisper.

"Of course I didn't. He's my brother, Aubrey."

At that moment, when I thought I finally got Damon to calm down and be less hostile towards me, Elena enters the room. "You've been lying to me all summer, Damon. Every lead I brought you regarding him you made me feel stupid for holding onto my hope."

"You are stupid, Elena," Damon snarls, finishing emptying out his closet.

"He called me. If he was beyond saving he wouldn't have called," she says.

"He called you?" I gasp, turning my attention to her.

"Don't listen to her lies, Aubrey," groans Damon, flopping down onto his bed.

"What did Stefan say?" I ask Elena.

Before she can answer, Damon cuts in. "He said to stop looking for him. Then he killed Andie."

The mention of what occurred last night stings. When it comes to my emotions guilt is a strong one. When I was human I never could avoid the feeling of guilt. As a vampire it's a lot worse.

Elena speaks up, "He didn't exactly say anything, but I know it was him."

"I wasn't him," Damon deadpans, walking over to his dresser to get liquor. I meet him there and swat his hand away from the bottles. No way can I handle him drunk.

"Trust me. It was Stefan," Elena says, blushing at the memory. She makes me sick.

"It's like arguing with a toddler!" exclaims Damon.

I have a lot of work cut out for me if ever want to save Stefan, I soon realize.

After I get Damon and Elena to stop their bickering, I leave the room with Elena at my side. I've come to the conclusion Damon will be no help right now. Once Elena and I are outside the Boarding House, I turn to her.

"Do you really believe it was Stefan who called you?" I ask, staring intently at her.

She nods her head eagerly. "Aubrey, I know you have no reason to believe me, but I know it was Stefan who called me. I refuse to give up on him."