Chapter One ~ Daylight and Peach

Chapter One
Daylight and Peach

"Ethan? Where are you going? Come back here."

The sunlight coming through the window hovered over my eyelid, warming them up. I slowly opened my eyes, eventually only being able to open them for only about a centimetre, due to the light forcing my eyes to squint. Turning to my right, I looked at my alarm clock; it was 6:58am. I had about 2 minutes more to sleep and so I covered my eyes with my arm and switched to the other side, to ensure the no disturbance was kept up to standard for the two minutes.

Beep! Beep! Beep!

The wooden clock announced the completion of my two minutes. I stared at the sad thing, asking it why it was so adamant in obstructing my good sleep and relaxation. Time just goes too fast when you simply don't want it to and then vice versa.

I lazily dragged myself up and went into the bathroom to grab my brush, where I ended up facing myself in the mirror. My messy bed hair spiked up my hair in several directions, while my eyes were droopy with faint shadows of eye bags visible-they weren't prominent. After brushing my teeth and making adjustments to my hair, face and clothing, I went downstairs and then into my grandmother's room. As I tried walking into the room, a woman tried to come out. She was probably in her early twenties and other than the brown highlights within her hair; she didn't seem to carry any unique presence. She was appointed as the new nurse(well to me but she did start a month ago) for Gran but I didn't get the chance to speak with her and I didn't even know her name but I didn't have time and so I left it for another time. She smiled, acknowledging my presence, while I also did so in reply, and then she gave me way to pass through.

When I made a small grand entrance for which I did a little dance, I saw Gran on her wheel chair, move her eyes from the sky outside to me and then smile at my comedic actions. I bent down onto my knee next to her. "Good morning, grandma. Did you have a nice sleep?" She nodded in reply, not attempting to speak. She couldn't talk or rather she wouldn't talk.

I checked the time on my watch, the second hand was moving towards the 6 and I realised that the answer to 'if I had enough time to eat breakfast?' was a no. I looked at my stomach feeling pity for it and as a result obviously feeling pity for myself since I'd be having a soon-to-be grumbling stomach.

"Gran, I have to go now. I'll be coming back home around 4 or 5." I told her and planted a kiss on her forehead. "Take care."

The next place to go was to the garage, where my slightly rusted and slightly old bicycle remained in custody of the garage during the times I didn't use it as one would generally assume. Entering, I went straight to it, taking it off its chains and then with my rucksack on my back I got on the bicycle. I was going to set off but then the brown-highlightes nurse came scurrying in.

"Sir," I looked up at her and waited for whatever she was going to say. "Your lunch." My eyes moved towards the brown bag in her hand that she presented to me. She seemed to be breathless, probably from all the hurrying.

"Is Ms Ainsworth in today?" I asked her, as I took the bag from her. Ms Ainsworth was the house's chef and most importantly, she was also the one who was in charge of things around the house and has been for a few years now, so she was my mother-like aunt.

"No, sir. She didn't come in today." The nurse replied.

"Why? Do you happen to know anything?" I became worried; she seriously wasn't one to not come in and especially not without informing me. I looked at the nurse for answers and her expression told me she was oblivious to my questions and to the situation. "Don't worry about it. I'll just call her up."