Chapter 26 - Murdered Comrade

George's POV

Oh fuck.

As I watched Faith exit the canteen, only one thought was processing through my muddled mind.

She passed.

Don't get me wrong. I'm happy for her, but this is bad for me.

I raked my calloused fingers repeatedly through my unkempt curls, as I tried to calm my raging nerves - constantly clenching and unclenching my fists in the meantime.

She ranked higher than me.

My breathing became more ragged at the thought, my anxiety increasing with the slow realisation of what this meant.

That means I'm rank-5 now...

The lowest of my cell.

Nobody can understand my situation better than I.

Rank-5 are the trash of the trash - the ones who barely made it through to Pit rankings - the ones that rank more or less the same as a pack Omega.

Before Faith had even managed to disappear behind the guarded door, the unpleasant feeling of four paid of familiarly cold eyes watching me caused a wave of fear

It was bad enough dealing with those guys when I was rank-4 but... now...

I turned to face the disgusting inmates if the commentator, their eyes set in me in a manner which unnerved me... I shivered in my seat, fright obvious - it only made their devilish grins widen with glee. They loved what they were doing to me; enjoying every minute of it.

If i don't watch myself, I'll land myself in the greasy hands for those crazy bastards within a matter of minutes.

I turned to face the front again, trying my best to ignore the discomfort I was feeling - the same that I've been feeling for the past few months now, since those had made me their new 'target'.

This could only get worse from here on out.

As the next battle started, I paid no attention to the battle before me, sinking in my own negative thoughts which only seemed to accumulate with time.

It was bad enough dealing with those guys when I was rank-4 but... now...

I audibly gulped.

...They'll kill me, I just know it.

I hesitantly shifted my eyes to the group of 4 sitting lazily behind the commentator, catching a quick glimpse of them devouring their food like the animals they are.

I could only feel disgust at the sight.

I'm gonna have the unfortunate luck of dying by the hands of these scumbags.

Nothing could make me feel worse than how I did at this point.

3rd Persons' POV

As soon as Maya reached the cell, she effortlessly climbed onto one of the top bunks with her slowly-healing human form.

Jessie observed her strange behaviour quietly for a few minutes more, seating himself on the lone chair - positioning it closer to the bunk bed to gain a better view of the strange creature before him.