Chapter 28 - I'll Be Your Best Friend

Maya's POV

I'll be your George, Lenn.

Is the first thought that came to me, as I watched the hunched man unceremoniously bawl his eyes out in front of the pile of bodies he had so graciously stacked. His bloodied shirt discarded to the side, died red by the blood of his enemies - just like most of his exposed skin.

I know what he needs at this point, and I am willing to become it.

I reached out and placed one of my hands firmly on his turned shoulder. He didn't look as if he wasn't going to respond to anything anytime soon - so I said what I had to, shocking him out of his suspended state.

"I'll be your friend."

I don't know what made me say those words, but I couldn't deny there was some truth behind them.

I want someone to care for me like that.
I know I am being weak, but I can't deny Faith's emotions, which run so closely with my own.

I don't have a mate, and neither can I afford to find one at this point. I don't want the distraction in my life. Was what the both of us were thinking, knowing full well we had no control over when or where we would meet our mate. It would happen after I turn 18, that much is certain.

I have no family, no friends. I just want someone who I can trust without hesitance. Someone who can fill the void my loved ones left.

And I know he's perfect to fit the role. He's too naive to think bad of me. Too innocent to believe anything bad about me. He's easily manipulated, so easy to persuade.

I want someone to love me til I die. I want someone to try to protect me, even though I know I probably won't ever need it.

I want someone to truly care for my feelings, someone I can trust blindly. I want someone to put me above all, to watch my needs before their own.

I want someone to truly cry for me when I am gone.

But... I don't want a mate. Not yet.

Lenns POV

Her words lifted my spirits as well as consoled my broken heart.

She wants to be my friend? Happiness engulfed me, with equal sorrow. I wonder how long she will be able to hang around me, before she gets tired - or worse, leaves.

As if sensing my negative train of thought, she said, "I'll never willingly leave you, Lenn. I'll always be with you, for as long as you need me."

Hopefully longer than George. I don't think I can take another death of a friend.

"Don't worry, Lenn. I won't die on you. And you'll be there to protect me, won't you? If someone targeted me?" She asked, clearly confident on my answer - he lips brought up in a knowing smile.

My heart skipped a beat at her words. So much trust. And with that, my broken heart began to slowly seal its cracks - reversing the inflictions time had brought upon me.

She'll be my friend. I have a full blown smile to the little Angel before me, my tearful eyes asking permission from hers - which she gave with a slight nod.