Chapter 3--Lesson Initiated

Chapter 3--Lesson Inititated

                Riiinnnnng goes the bell, beckoning us to come to lunch.  Even though I get straight A’s, am a cheerleader, and participate in various clubs, that doesn’t mean I like lagging after class when I could easily be enjoying the light banter that lunch time brings.

                As I’m walking down the hall, I am searching for one black head of hair, but I don’t see him anywhere.  I have to admit that I’m nervous about today after school.  I envy those girls who get their first kiss in an unexpected manor, but I can’t be like them.  I have to know that I’m getting my first kiss after school which only means that the butterflies I woke up with this morning are only multiplying in my stomach by the hour.  If they were to cut me open right now, I’d have enough butterflies to fill a whole garden at the zoo.

                When I reach the lunch room, I head towards the jock table without a second thought.  That’s where all of my friends sit; it just so happens that all my friends happen to be football players and cheerleaders.  Generally, you befriend those you spend the most time with.  Granted, half of them are complete idiots while the other half of them are complete assholes, leaving only one sweet, honest, true person: Maria.

                She got to lunch first today, so she bought us both lunch.  I hate when she gets here first because all our food consists of healthy things like salad or tofu.  Yuck.  I much prefer the days I buy when lunch consists of greasy, yummy in my tummy food.  It’s not like either of us needs to eat healthy, especially Maria.  She’s a stick.  No, she’s thinner than a stick.  She’s a twig!  I’m sorry if I like my curves that come by eating high amounts of fat and sugar.

                “What’s up Amanda?”  Johnny asks me from the other side of the table.  I didn’t even realize he is sitting there.  Oops.  Even though he is my boyfriend, I never even notice when he is around until someone points it out.  Poor guy, he is so engrossed with me that he doesn’t even realize I could care less about him.  We did the brushing of the lips thing that one time at the movies, but I didn’t feel anything so I refused to stay with our lips connected any longer.  Now, I may or may not be avoiding his touch like the black plague.

                “Nothing much Johnny.  How was your weekend?”  My heart sinks to a new low as he flashes me the brightest smile I have ever seen.  Do I ignore him that much?  Maybe I should try harder being his daunting girlfriend.  Just wait sweetheart, after today I’ll have my first real kiss out of the way, and we will be free to tango!

                “It was okay babe.  I missed you though.”  The butterflies in my stomach all come to an abrupt stop.  The guilt I was feeling before was amplified now because he just said he missed me when I didn’t even give him a single though.  No, instead I gave a lap dance to a guy who screamed trouble and agreed to take kissing lessons from so said guy.  I believe I just won the worst girlfriend of the year award.  He doesn’t deserve this.  He is way too sweet for me.  That’s why I was telling him that we needed to talk before I even made up the decision to break up with him, but I knew then, when his face fell like I just broke tragic news that I had to break up with him because he is way too good for me.

                Johnny and I agreed to meet after school at the local dinner to ‘talk,’ but we both know what is coming.  Now, we are sitting in silence and I am just waiting for the words to come out, but I can’t seem to form the right sentences to make this as painless as possible for both of us.