Chapter 10--Be careful, or Else You'll Get an Improptu Lesson on PDA

Didn't edit.  Typed and posted.  Forgive me for grammar.  If you see any, just post in the comments and I'll fix it!

Chapter 10

                My whole body is shaking, and I am slowly jerked out of my wonderful dream of being a rock star.  Instead of fans screaming my name and professing their love for me, Maria is screaming my name professing her annoyance of how I won’t get my butt out of bed.  I push her off of me slightly and attempt to roll back over, but she won’t have any of that.  She is persistent that one.  Sometimes, like early in the morning, I question our friendship.

                “Go away Maria!”

                “No!  You are going to school today, so wake up!”  Maria gives me a final shove, sending me toppling onto the ground next to my bed.  That’s it!  I’m going to crucify this girl for interrupting my sleep, but before I can wrap my fingers around her neck, she is out of the room and down the stairs.  That’s fine, but I will be plotting my revenge on her later today.  Since I’m up already, I make my way to the shower and begin to get ready for the day. 

                The whole process is taking longer than usual because I keep re-playing last night over and over in my head.  Damien was fun, but Cameron was, well, Cameron.  How could Damien even begin to compete with perfection like that?  I mean that hair, and those lips, and the way it feels when he is kissing me—Damien just isn’t quite up to par.  However, I care for Cameron a lot; and that is scary because I don’t think he feels the same way.  I’m risking everything again, practically setting myself up for heartbreak.  The smart girl in me should be saying, “No!  Don’t do it!  He is a player!  Just say no!”  Unfortunately, the love-sick, hormonal teenager in me is shutting her up quite efficiently.

                Maria’s angry voice radiates up the stairs signaling that I need to get a move on or else face serious consequences.  I spray one final spritz of perfume before grabbing my backpack and heading downstairs to meet Maria who greets me with a wolf-whistle.

                “Well, I’ll be damned.  Amanda, if I do say so myself, you are one sexy b-otch!”  I just laugh at her as I follow her out of the house towards her car.  Cameron’s car is gone this morning, but that doesn’t surprise me because we are running fifteen minutes late.  We are going to have to break all sorts of speed limits in order to get to school in time.  Luck for us, Maria is driving.  Getting there in less than ten minutes shouldn’t be a problem at all.  Now, I’ll just have to close my eyes and spend the next ten minutes of my life praying for safety!

                I feel the car lurch to a stop, but I still refuse to peel open my eyelids.  If it is even possible, I think her driving abilities are getting worse with time, and people say things get better with time!  Lies!  I flounder around for the handle bar, grasping onto its cool metal and plunging out of the car.  Finally, I open my eyes only to be momentarily blinded by the natural light.  Some of my fellow cheerleaders are hanging out under a tree, and they wave at me, beckoning me to come over.  I wave politely back, but I stick with Maria and head towards her brother.  I can see her tensing when she realizes I’m following her, but I give her a reassuring smile that hopefully says, “It’s okay.  I’m over him.”  Instead of “It’s okay.  We hooked up last night.”  I really hope she doesn’t get the second message.

                “Hey Cameron!”  Maria’s voice is strained, but I can hear an underlying tone of excitement.  She loves Cameron to death, and she is trying to hate him for my benefit.  Unfortunately, she can’t stay mad at him for long, so she is putting on an act now, trying to seem like she is still mad.