Chapter Fifteen

"Beau, before you leave for school... Can I talk to you about something?"

I turned around with my backpack slumped on my shoulder, and nodded. We were already going to be late anyway. Aaron had woken up late, and I was up all night not feeling well so I had slept in too. 

My mom shifted back and forth on her feet, obviously uncomfortable. 

"Mom, Aaron's already in the car. We're running late. So could you please.." I ushered. 

She nodded and held out an envelope to me. It had my name, and the schools name on it. Fuck, grades were in. I had tried to remind myself to get it in the mail before Mom had a chance to, but it looks like that didn't happen.

I took the paper from her and started unfolding it while looking at her, "Look, I know. I'll try to pull my grades up this semester. It was just the adjustment to a new state and stuff. You know?"

She shook her head, "Oh, grades were the least of your worries right now Beauregard Tanner." 

Suddenly confused, I looked down at the paper and envelope in my hand. My eyebrows furrowed as I scanned it.

It had my grades like I had first imagined. However, it also had each one of my tardies, and absences counted.

Tardies: 8     Absences: 47

The numbers stared back at me as I could feel my mothers glare.

"I can ex-" I began.

"Oh, I sure hope you can," she huffed.

I looked up at her, and she nodded at the papers in my hands. "Keep going, there's more."

Reluctantly, I went to the second page, and read. Running my hand through my hair, and taking a deep breath, I read on. Before I even had a chance to read, words were jumping out at me.

...Suspension...

...lead to Expulsion...

...Failure to graduate...

"I really, really hope you have a damn good reason Beau. Because otherwise, they're kicking you out. And honestly? I don't know if I can deal with it myself frankly. I put up with the little stuff here and there back in North Carolina. But 50 Absences Beau? 50!" My mother was starting to get tears in her eyes and I set down my backpack.

"I can. I seriously can," I rushed out. My hands were up, outfaced towards her. 

"Then start explaining!" she screeched.

I opened my mouth, trying to find the right words. To somehow make this alright. My eyes pleaded with hers, and a single tear fell down her cheek. The worst thing that can ever happen, is to be the cause of your mothers tears.

My mom picked up my backpack and gently tossed it towards me, "Go to school."

"Bu-"

"Go to school, Beau! I'm sick of this! I'm getting sick of you! Get to school, and you better stay there!" I knew it was the anger talking, but it all hurt the same. I picked up the backpack, nodded, and was outside. Regret flashed in her eyes, but she stayed where she was.

Aaron looked at me when I got in the car, but stayed silent. As soon as we got to school, we parted ways. However, I know I saw him look back to make sure I walked into school.

As soon as I walked into school a bouncing blond haired Meredithmanaged to make her way to me through the crowd.

"Guess what, Beau!"