t w o

"There's my favourite sibling." Elena said as she entered the room Zoe laid in.

Elena brought the tray of nicely set food on the beside table, placing her body at the end of the big king sized bed. The bottom of the bed sunk down only the tiniest bit.

"Thank you." Zoe said as she finally got herself to sit up from Kai's sleeping body.

"He's been there for awhile." Elena stated pointing over to Kai.

Zoe looked back at the face of Kai sleeping peacefully. She didn't want to disturb his nap, so she left him be, placing the tray on her lap. Zoe slowly ate for she didn't have quite the appetite.

"I wonder where Damon is." Elena rolled her eyes at Zoe's comment, Zoe's eyebrows furrowing.

"Yeah whatever, I'll be downstairs." Elena shrugged it off as she said those words, leaving a confused Zoe.

Zoe had gotten up to try and chase after her, it almost felt like she always did so, always chasing after her.

"Elena where are you going?" Zoe croaked out, as the window opened wish gushing through Zoe's body.

"I'm going to Matt's for awhile." Elena wore clothes rather different from what she normally wore, Zoe adjusting her eyes to be kept them wide open at Elena.

"But it's past 12 at midnight." Zoe said, sitting up to turn on her lampshade.

"And so?" Elena asked shrugging.

"You know you'll end up grounded."

"Not if you don't tell." Elena had said before attempting to climb out of the window.

"Elena." Zoe lowly hissed, trying to keep her volume to a minimum.

"What?" Elena growled.

"Please don't leave."

"You'll be alright." Elena assured her.

Zoe couldn't take it but run after her and grab her arm, pulling her back in their shared bedroom.

"I don't want you risking getting hurt at night, there could be people who could kidnap you." Zoe warned.

"Calm down, I won't get kidnapped."

"I'm not allowing this, now please go back to bed, I don't want you getting in trouble."

"For crying out loud, I'm sixteen not eight." Zoe whined.

"Well I'm a minute older than you, so go get changed back into your pyjamas and tell Matt you can't make it." Zoe replied sternly.

"Smartass." Elena mumbled under her breath, Zoe easily hearing it, her eyes meeting her fiddling fingers.

"It's not my fault your reputation is more important than me, you're bigger sister. If you know so much about reality than maybe you should be calling yourself a smartass." Zoe wanted to say these exact words, but nothing came out.

Zoe pulled back from the flashback, looking back at the sleeping Kai and then towards the door.

It was always Elena from the start, and never Zoe. The spotlight was always shining Elena's way, never Zoe's. The popularity always going to Elena, never Zoe. All the boys Zoe would like would always choose Elena, she never knew why, they both looked the same.