Chapter 13: Sickness and Stars

Lauren's POV

"Hey Lauren, I have to go out and won't be back until tomorrow and Austin is on a business trip, can you come over and look over Skilar? She has a concussion and a little cold. I took her electronics away because they're not good for her head and I made her go take a nap so that's why I'm calling instead of her," Skilar's grandma spoke through the phone.

"Oh, of course! I'll be right over!" I replied excitedly. I may have sounded a bit too overjoyed but, then again, I was more than happy to help out.

"Hey mom, I'm going over to Skilar's for a sleepover," I said, quickly peeping my head into the kitchen before I walked down the street with a backpack full of clothes.

"Okay, bring this," my mom replied while handing me a box of crackers, "Love you, see you tomorrow."

Our conversation lasted no more than twenty seconds and I was left confused as I carried a box of Saltines. I quickly shrugged my shoulders then started walking down the street. Once I got to Skilar's house, I didn't bother knocking and let myself in before setting my bag down in the front living room.

"Wow, no knock or ringing of the doorbell?" I heard Skilar's voice ask.

"You're supposed to be asleep in bed," I scolded her. She rolled her eyes and sighed. I then firmly ordered her to take a nap, "Skilar Anderson, go to bed now."

"But I don't want to," she whined.

"Then no kisses for you," I replied.

"Fine," she mumbled as she got up from the couch in the living room she was sitting on. "But can I at least sleep outside on the hammock? It's a beautiful day out."

"Sure, go ahead," I replied and before I knew it she was running upstairs. "HEY! No running Skilar Anderson!"

"But-," she replied in her defense.

"No buts. The doctor said no physical activity and I know you don't want to be out of playing soccer for any longer. You go outside now and I'll get what you need," I demanded.

"You're scary," Skilar pouted. "And fine, go get a sleeping bag, a pillow, and my stuffed Winnie the Pooh."

"What's the magic word?"

"Now." At that, I raised my eyebrows at her and gave her a "mom" stare.

"Try that again, young lady," I said, not a hint of sarcasm in my voice.

"Please, mom," she pouted.

"That's better," I said smirking as I quickly went upstairs to search for what my lovely, stubborn girlfriend asked for. When I got into her bedroom, I immediately found her Pooh bear and a pillow on her bed. Unfortunately, I couldn't easily find a sleeping bag and before I knew it, I was looking through five different closets and still couldn't find one. On the ninth closet in a guest room I never knew existed, I finally found one in a closet full of camping gear. Before going back downstairs, I decided to take two sleeping bags down along with some more pillows.

"You have so many closets. No wonder you're still not out of the closet," I said jokingly as I made my way outside to the hammock.

"Shut up, that's not a very nice thing to say to a sick, concussed person. Plus, look who's talking, hypocrite," Skilar replied. "Hey, I just realized I never got a kiss from you today."

"Maybe later, you're sick," I said, laughing evilly.

"Ugh, I can't do anything," Skilar pouted, letting out a sigh.

"Here, lay down and take a nap," I ordered as I finished situating the sleeping bag, pillow, and Pooh bear on the hammock.

"But I'm not tired. I've already taken two naps today."