7 Nick

Years ago, Jay and I made a pact: that no matter what, we had to stay the record holders for all the games. And we haven't broken that pact, not once in almost four years. Despite how much trouble we've gotten in, and the narrowly avoided situations that could've been really, really bad, we've kept the games alive. I've never doubted myself — I love a good challenge — but it's different this time around.

"Nick, sweetie, could you get some lemons from the fridge?"

I grunt and swing myself off the couch that's been replaced five times this past year alone. Mom does most of the interior shopping around here, and pretty much every material in this house is made of something ridiculously expensive.

"Mom, do we have to do this every week?"

"Do what every week?"

"Eat with them," I groan, setting the lemons down on the kitchen island. The oven chimes. "It's not like they're relatives or anything."

"But your father works closely with Mr. Mathers." She sets down a steaming tray on the table, whipping off her mittens. "And it's important you maintain a positive relationship with their son."

I wince at the word relationship. Just a few days ago, this would've meant nothing, but ever since the game, anything about Josh and any possible contact with him has me dreading his appearance. The bell rings.

Mom smooths over her new dress, her cheek twitching inward like she does when she's nervous. My dad emerges from his office as my mom opens the front door and beams at the Mathers family — Mr. and Mrs. Mathers, and behind them, Josh's older siblings, Natalie and Preston. It's a big family, considering how I'm an only child.

"Tracy!" My mom gives Josh's mom one of those motherly side-hugs. "Love the dress."

"Rebecca, how are you?" Mrs. Mathers cries.

Our dads acknowledge each other with their firm, hearty handshakes and we head towards the dinner table, where we take our usual seats. I'm just starting to wonder where Josh is when the front door eases open and the last figure of the Mathers family saunters in.

Josh's dad scolds, "Josh, you're late," but he just shrugs and takes his place next to mine. The hair on my skin is standing straight up, tensing at his every movement.

As the parents ease into a conversation about their most recent business deal, Josh shoves a piece of paper towards me under the table. "Seems familiar to you?"

I glance up at his smirk, wondering if he'd somehow found out about my pledge, before smoothing the paper out and squinting at the words. Find, date, and take a junior girl's virginity. The handwriting is familiar. "Kyle?"

After I'd received my pledge, I'd pretty much zoned out for the rest of the game. All I really remember is glancing at Josh more than a few times, in case he could magically read my mind.

"Sounds like it." Josh helps himself to the bread being passed around the table. "He knows pretty much every junior girl's already dating someone."

I force a laugh and lock eyes with Natalie instead, who's been staring intensely at me from across the table. I feel my jaw tighten uncomfortably as I shove more fettuccine into my mouth.

Josh wraps his fork in pasta and says quietly, "She's in love with you, you know. Almost as much as you are with Hannah."

"Yeah, too bad older ladies give me the creeps."

"So that means you prefer older guys?"

I look up so fast my neck hurts. Josh is adding salt onto his plate, already answering my mom's question, but the words echo in my head. So that means you prefer older guys?